Humpback Whales, Shetland

Name
John Moncrieff
Edit My Images
Yes
A few images of a pair of Humpback Whales that spent much of Sunday very close to the cliffs at the southern tip of Mainland Shetland. Sadly my photos don't do these huge animals justice. I didn't notice any tail flukes appearing, and I would have loved for them to breach! There have been around 6 Humpbacks spotted close to shore in the last few weeks, which is quite unusual - hopefully there will be more opportunities like this. I was close enough to smell their breath as the exhaled - it reeks!

Humpback Whales, Shetland by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Humpback Whales, Shetland, Nov 2015 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Humpback Whales, Shetland, Nov 2015 by John Moncrieff, on Flickr

Great to see them John, must have been a fantastic opportunity ... hope you get some better sightings :)

Good effort John, just a shame you can't see a bit more of them. Something I would really love to see.(y)

George.

Great to see them John, must have been a fantastic opportunity ... hope you get some better sightings :)

Good effort John, just a shame you can't see a bit more of them. Something I would really love to see.(y)

George.

Nice pics but marine mammals are very difficult to photograph.

Thanks guys, yeah without any action or context to show the size it takes away from the spectacle. I think a wetsuit and waterproof camera housing would be handy :-D

Don't worry about the images John you can always down load some from flickr, it's the fact you even seen them you lucky man, you will always have the memory for when you're in the rocking chair.

Flukes or no flukes still very good shots and a great experience seeing them close up. I'm sure you'll find that most shots of whales are like this with them mostly submerged.

Just about to post photos of the Pilot whales we saw on our recent trip to Madeira.

Another species on my list. Well spotted

Must be very rewarding to see such wonderful creatures.

I'd be over he moon to see these and a fantastic opportunity - hope they come back and you get the shot you're after :)

a breaching humpback is probably the no.1 photo on my bucket list, possibly an orca too. I've seen minke in Iceland and got a fluke shot with sperm whales in NZ, but humpbacks are my favourite :)

Don't worry about the images John you can always down load some from flickr, it's the fact you even seen them you lucky man, you will always have the memory for when you're in the rocking chair.

These are on the list for 2016 to try and get to see.

Flukes or no flukes still very good shots and a great experience seeing them close up. I'm sure you'll find that most shots of whales are like this with them mostly submerged.

Just about to post photos of the Pilot whales we saw on our recent trip to Madeira.

Another species on my list. Well spotted

Very good shots, so lucky to see them so close up.

Must be very rewarding to see such wonderful creatures.

I'd be over he moon to see these and a fantastic opportunity - hope they come back and you get the shot you're after :)

a breaching humpback is probably the no.1 photo on my bucket list, possibly an orca too. I've seen minke in Iceland and got a fluke shot with sperm whales in NZ, but humpbacks are my favourite :)

Sorry for the delay - not logged in for a while! Many thanks for the comments - another couple of Humpbacks were seen breaching a few weeks later - just a few miles from my house, but I was stuck at work!! :-(

Back