Hurdles

Try positioning yourself head on, in front of the hurdlers, if your lens is good enough. Much more dramatic pictures and it avoids the issue in the last shot which is someone behind the guy in red, messing up the frame.

Try positioning yourself head on, in front of the hurdlers, if your lens is good enough. Much more dramatic pictures and it avoids the issue in the last shot which is someone behind the guy in red, messing up the frame.

You make a good point but with an 80-200 lens it’s not a viable alternative. Of the three shooting positions (camera left side of track, camera right, head on) this was the position with the least distractions in the background. Head on I’d have to be much further back as I took this shot almost from the side of the track at the finish line, and camera right the view was concrete, stands and kids lined up along a fence,

Now I also realize that there’s too much red with the two spectators in the infield wearing red and the hurdler gets a bit lost. Nuts! ;-)

Last edited:
If you can't go head on, that's fine but don't expect standout pictures with so much perspective in the frame.

A warning has been given for this post
Forgive the very crude work on this, but knocking back/changing the colours of the spectators makes them much less obvious.

Or even get rid altogether...

MOD EDIT : unwanted photo edits removed

Last edited by a moderator:
Oops. Apologies for that as I hadn't noticed it. I'm still relatively new to the site and still feeling my way around a bit.

The changing colours thing (if done properly) wouldn't look out of place - I did the above on a screen grab in about 5 minutes. Done properly, you'd never know.

Funnily enough, looking back at the original now, it looks heavily over-saturated in that area, so maybe just a light brushing over and reduce the saturation (but keeping them red) would help.

Last edited:
Back