Hurricane and Sea Fury T20 @ Duxford

Name
Andy
Edit My Images
Yes
Went to Duxford today, inside was bad for photos, no light and too many people. But fortunately grabbed a few shots of their Hurricane and Hawker Sea Fury T20 flying. Completely messed up exposure but pulled back what I could. Always learning :D. Shot with my D500 and Nikkor 70-200 f2.8 VR II.

Hurricane 1 by AndyThilo, on Flickr

Hurricane 2 by AndyThilo, on Flickr

Hurricane 3 by AndyThilo, on Flickr

Hurricane 4 by AndyThilo, on Flickr

Hawker Sea Fury T20 1 by AndyThilo, on Flickr

Hawker Sea Fury T20 2 by AndyThilo, on Flickr

Last edited:
that's the beauty of modern cameras and technology
you can recover and amend for our mistakes that we all make

that's the beauty of modern cameras and technology
you can recover and amend for our mistakes that we all make

Very true, just annoyed I wasn't more careful. Could have easily ruined the shots and the reason I'm moving to a Sony A7Riii or A9

Because it's all too heavy and with the Sony and it's EVF I get live exposure. And TBH, Nikon doesn't have a decent prosumer lens for 100-400. Only Canon and Sony do.

Because it's all too heavy and with the Sony and it's EVF I get live exposure. And TBH, Nikon doesn't have a decent prosumer lens for 100-400. Only Canon and Sony do.

What's wrong with Nikon 80-400mm?
And if you want light then nothing really beats PF 300mm f4 which you could use with TC.

Last edited:
What's wrong with Nikon 80-400mm?
And if you want light then nothing really beats PF 300mm f4 which you could use with TC.

80-400 is optically no where near as good as the Canon or Sony 100-400's. Agree on the 300PF but a zoom is much more preferable for me.

80-400 is optically no where near as good as the Canon or Sony 100-400's. Agree on the 300PF but a zoom is much more preferable for me.

I thought the second version was better than canon's 100-400mm.
I am debating whether to give Duxford a visit for the May airshow. But £30 is rather steep :(

Last edited:
We're premium members so get 20% off. I don't think £30 is bad for a days entertainment though.

We're premium members so get 20% off. I don't think £30 is bad for a days entertainment though.

That's a nice amount of discount especially when there's two of you ;)
Without the discount its £60 in total for two of us.

The issue isn't so much the money, I am not sure we'll be able to visit the museum properly and watch the airshow on the same day. While the ticket grants access to both we'll only be able make use of one or the other.

Good efforts given the conditions. I'd maybe be tempted to pull the shadows up a bit on the Fury though, especially the closer crop.

That's a nice amount of discount especially when there's two of you ;)
Without the discount its £60 in total for two of us.

The issue isn't so much the money, I am not sure we'll be able to visit the museum properly and watch the airshow on the same day. While the ticket grants access to both we'll only be able make use of one or the other.

If you arrive early, you should be able to see the majority of the museum, if you forgo the Land Warfare and possibly Hangar 5 (well that's what I'd skip, anyway!). Arguably, the best hangars for photography are 3 and 4 (those being the old Belfast Truss hangars), although beware on a show weekend the chances are a lot of the aircraft normally in hangar 3 (and 2 for that matter) will be out on the flightline.

Back