I don't do landscapes... but I did go to Iceland

Name
Simon
Edit My Images
No
..and destroyed my shoulder, but that's another story.
It wasn't really a photo trip so much as a family holiday but I did take a few snaps :)

1. Eyjafjallajökull. Yes, that volcano - in the fog immediately behind the farm, which has a 30 minute evacuation plan

_SRC0222-Edit.jpg
2. Skógafoss

_SRC0234-Edit-2-Edit.jpg

3. Aurora. This was very faint to the naked eye but our guide counted it as a 'good night'

_SRC0625-Edit-Edit.jpg

4. Natural ice cave on Vatnajökull. I couldn't resist comp'ing a model into this one but that's not suitable for this thread ;)

_SRC0688-Edit-Edit (Small).jpg

5. Hiking on Vatnajökull at dusk

_SRC0571-Edit (Small).jpg

All polite thoughts gratefully received :)

Last edited:
Lovely set and now on my bucket list.
1 2 and 3 are all my favs

I'm considering a photography trip to Iceland on as small a budget as I can manage. Flights seem pretty cheap and even more so if you just take carry-on. I'm thinking about doing a week and renting a small camper van so I can drive round the island taking in points of interest on the way and be in the right places at the right times of day.

Any advice you might have on the photography side, itinerary, cost saving recommendations or anything else would be great to hear.

I'm considering a photography trip to Iceland on as small a budget as I can manage. Flights seem pretty cheap and even more so if you just take carry-on. I'm thinking about doing a week and renting a small camper van so I can drive round the island taking in points of interest on the way and be in the right places at the right times of day.

Any advice you might have on the photography side, itinerary, cost saving recommendations or anything else would be great to hear.

Iceland is eye-wateringly expensive.
Coffee: £10
Croissant: £10
Hotdog from a garage: £10
Glass of wine: £10
Cheap meal out: £60
etc.

I went in February.

If you go in Winter get a guide or join a tour. The place is properly dangerous and they have a rather low-key attitude to warning signs - e.g. one small sign & a rope - ignore it and you will die.
If it gets windy the roads all close as you'll just get blown off them. And die.
If you go on a glacier without a guide.. etc

I wouldn't base myself in Reykjavik - too far to go to see the lights.

Iceland is eye-wateringly expensive.
Coffee: £10
Croissant: £10
Hotdog from a garage: £10
Glass of wine: £10
Cheap meal out: £60
etc.

I went in February.

If you go in Winter get a guide or join a tour. The place is properly dangerous and they have a rather low-key attitude to warning signs - e.g. one small sign & a rope - ignore it and you will die.
If it gets windy the roads all close as you'll just get blown off them. And die.
If you go on a glacier without a guide.. etc

I wouldn't base myself in Reykjavik - too far to go to see the lights.
Erm is this price for just one person?

Yes is it shockingly expensive. We had a pizza and a hot chicken roll and two soft drinks at the 'restaurant' in geysir. It was our first meal out as we were getting a bit tired of sandwiches [I can't eat anything with alliums} and we worked out that it was over £50. A sandwich in a supermarket was around £10 to £12. We self catered from supermarkets mostly. Alcohol was equally expensive but that did not bother us as we don't drink much. We took too much cash expecting to pay for fuel with it and you had to pay for it by card. On the plus side, awesome place. I wouldn't go unguided in winter; we went in March and the winds were so strong I was concerned that I would lose control of the car door and it would break my legs!!

The café at the ice lagoon does a great seafood soup and it's bottomless so you can fill up for the price of a bowl. Pretty sure most places have bottomless coffee for the advertised price too - but check! We had a LandCruiser loaded with 5 people plus luggage and we were nearly blown off the road - the 2 other vehicles in the (loose) convoy did end up at the bottom of the embankment. The weather can (and will!) change in an instant, as will the density of other visitors at the (usually free) photo stops. Fantastic place and we only did the South coast (in March 2015, since when prices have doubled, if not more...)

Personally, I'd avoid the tour coaches since there'll be 50+ other people wanting the same shots in the same 10 minutes that you're there; the freedom of having your own transport is worth every penny, especially if it's a photographic trip.

Back