I know you guys love SNAKES, so here are a few.

Name
Steve
Edit My Images
No
All of these photos were taken within 4 metres of my house. We have quite a lot of snakes , which are generally harmless, but some are worth treating with caution, like this first one with is an old male Eastern Brown Snake with a length over 2 metres (supposedly the second most toxic snake in the world). I needed a macro lens to focus this close, but he wasn't at all worried by me. It is generally only when snakes get defensive that they will strike at people. You get used to watching what you step on as snakes do not like being trodden on.
_74Z4801-1-X2.jpg

A Whip Snake. A very pretty, small snake that is quite common. It is harmless.
2010_0018594-helicon-X2.jpg

A Green Tree Snake. ALso quite harmless and very cute.
_74Z0787-XL.jpg

A Carpet Python. Not toxic and generally quite placid, though some individuals can be a bit defensive when handled. Around here, it is the most commonly seen snake. It can get quite big (up to 4m) and eats small animals. We like them around the house as they will keep the rats down.
2010_0029016-X2.jpg

Two male Eastern Brown Snakes fighting over territory. The lighter coloured one won and you can see him in the first picture. They are big snakes and very toxic, though they will usually only bite if trodden on or if you do something stupid, like try to catch them or try to kill them.
_74Z4773-X2.jpg

A Small-eyed Snake. I little bit toxic, though not aggressive.

_9110876-X2.jpg

I used to have a Carpet Python, really nice snakes :)
(I had a few different species but that was before I got a decent camera)

I used to have a Carpet Python, really nice snakes :)
(I had a few different species but that was before I got a decent camera)
I don't have any as pets. We just cohabit. There are several carpet pythons who make the house home. Sometimes one will hang around in one area for a week or so and one actually liked being handled. I removed a few ticks from him and he seemed to appreciate it, as far as you can tell with a snake.

I did get heavily into herpetoculture a number of years ago, various lizard, snakes, frogs.. mainly dart frogs .. but I had to move them on due to time commitments.
I enjoyed keeping them as they all had varying degrees of requirements and were a bit more interesting than the usual animals people keep.
If I lived in a country where they were various species natural to the environment, I wouldn't have any, just observe them.

We get lots of frogs. 2 or 3 Green Tree Frogs live in holes in pavers by our bedroom door, but there are about 10 different species that live around the property. They can get quite noisy at times. I'll post some frogs at some point, they are very cute, though quite manic when they see things to eat.

So where do you live?

So where do you live?
In Northern NSW, about 20 minutes drive inland from Byron Bay and Ballina. It's in an area that was known as the Big Scrub and was an area of Sub-tropical, lowland rainforest. Not much left now, but it regrows quite easily, if you try, as it is an area of deep volcanic soil. I am regrowing the native trees (I've probably planted around 2,000 trees plus other plants) and the wildlife loves it.

Great close up shot of the Eastern Brown Snake, if I tried that it would have been spoilt by 'camera shake' :LOL:, you certainly have some unusual neighbours.

Great close up shot of the Eastern Brown Snake, if I tried that it would have been spoilt by 'camera shake' :LOL:, you certainly have some unusual neighbours.
The Browns are a bit daunting as they are quite fast moving, but if you don't scare them, they will not bite you. We don't get so many now that I have got rid of a lot of Cocos Palms which were feeding the rats, which were feeding the Brown Snakes. Even though I quite like Brown Snakes, I would just as soon that they chose to live elsewhere.

In Northern NSW, about 20 minutes drive inland from Byron Bay and Ballina. It's in an area that was known as the Big Scrub and was an area of Sub-tropical, lowland rainforest. Not much left now, but it regrows quite easily, if you try, as it is an area of deep volcanic soil. I am regrowing the native trees (I've probably planted around 2,000 trees plus other plants) and the wildlife loves it.

2000 trees
wicked

Steve keep 'em coming love to see the frogs aswell

stu

I'm very jealous. Our son lives in Lismore and when we were there in June we didn't see any snakes, however since then he has seen two or three round where he is.

FYI we stayed in Alstonville Cottages - lovely.

Howard

I'm very jealous. Our son lives in Lismore and when we were there in June we didn't see any snakes, however since then he has seen two or three round where he is.

FYI we stayed in Alstonville Cottages - lovely.

Howard
I've stayed in the Alstonville Cottages. Nice spot.

Back