I love car insurance renewal time

I think all new drivers should have to spend their first year driving an ex-fleet electric milk float.

AXA just gave me mine... £600 for a ford focus 2008 estate... Did not think it was too bad...
Went online and found one £250 fully comp beakdown and protected no clames. (9 years)

AXA just gave me mine... £600 for a ford focus 2008 estate... Did not think it was too bad...
Went online and found one £250 fully comp beakdown and protected no clames. (9 years)

...and that is exactly why it is so important to shop around. That's £350 towards a new lens :clap: (That is also a wife proof iron cast argument for buying one :D "Look how much I just saved Honey" )

...and that is exactly why it is so important to shop around. That's £350 towards a new lens :clap: (That is also a wife proof iron cast argument for buying one :D "Look how much I just saved Honey" )

Haha yup or does it goes to the brewery fund... Or is it the UAV one... Not sure where but the money will realocated ;);):D

Just phoned my insurer to tell them not to auto renew,which I bloody hate anyway, to be greeted by the following. "Lets have a chat about your premium sir I'm sure we can reduce it". Too late chief just cancel it my life is too busy to chat about it.

So down from £184 to £84. Not bad at all.

I have a question - my insurance is due for renewal in 3 days. I got stopped by the police for gong over the speed limit a week ago but have not had confirmation as to what the penalty will be (policeman thought 3 points and fine). How do I declare this on auto-renew/quotes I shop around for?

When I phoned the company to change mine they asked me if I had any convictions being currently processed. My old company also asked me that when I told them I wasn't renewing.

If it's your first speeding and wasn't a major one then insurance companies often don't load the premium for it, but I would tell them anyway just to be safe.

TBH I don't change insurers every year or go for the lowest quite, I stick with one I know from experience will deal with claims efficiently. that
applies to any insurance, cheapest is not always the best

Last edited:
Thanks, Gary & Ingrid - I'll ring them today and ask for a re-quote. I agree, Ingrid, with your comments - my existing insurer is not the most expensive of the quotes, has added some features and is Defacto 5 star rated so will probably stay with them for peace of mind! :)

Thanks, Gary & Ingrid - I'll ring them today and ask for a re-quote. I agree, Ingrid, with your comments - my existing insurer is not the most expensive of the quotes, has added some features and is Defacto 5 star rated so will probably stay with them for peace of mind! :)
If they're that good, tell us who they are!

Bemuses me why poeple wont give out company names. And not just you Sam, I see it all the time. I probably did it myself up there ^. Hastings for the record! I thought they'd been pretty good handling my rear end claim. But they're *still* chasing up recovering the repair costs from the 3rd party, 15 months later. And because of that apparently they cant have me marked as not at fault yet because the case isnt closed and because of that my protected no claims bonus is invalidated. Even though I have letters saying the 3rd party has admitted liability. Ridiculous. Thinking of ringing the financial ombudsman for a moan later.

But they're *still* chasing up recovering the repair costs from the 3rd party, 15 months later. And because of that apparently they cant have me marked as not at fault yet because the case isnt closed and because of that my protected no claims bonus is invalidated. Even though I have letters saying the 3rd party has admitted liability. Ridiculous. Thinking of ringing the financial ombudsman for a moan later.
Hang on, now, someone correct me, but isn't that the point of paying a little extra to "protect" your no claims?
Or is that whole thing a rip off too?

Hang on, now, someone correct me, but isn't that the point of paying a little extra to "protect" your no claims?
Or is that whole thing a rip off too?
Exactly! but "Oh no sir, if you have 2 "at fault" accidents within 3 years, tough sh*t"
Can I have the money back I paid for it then please?

Exactly! but "Oh no sir, if you have 2 "at fault" accidents within 3 years, tough sh*t"
Can I have the money back I paid for it then please?
:rolleyes:
The usual crap from them then :(

Just got mine through the door this morning, better than I was expecting. Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, 2010, I'm 37 have 6 points for speeding, wife is 35 and has 3, also for speeding. Fully comp, protected, blah blah blah, £275. Bargain.

Just got mine through the door this morning, better than I was expecting. Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart, 2010, I'm 37 have 6 points for speeding, wife is 35 and has 3, also for speeding. Fully comp, protected, blah blah blah, £275. Bargain.
And theres me, over 50, no points, 1.6 diesel, same bladdy price. Why?!?!?!

I've been with direct line for 10 years. Never had my prices go up. In fact a few times they've come down.
I've done price comparison a few times and never found anything cheaper.

Have two cars, home insurance and pet insurance with them.

I've been with direct line for 10 years. Never had my prices go up. In fact a few times they've come down.
I've done price comparison a few times and never found anything cheaper.

Have two cars, home insurance and pet insurance with them.

Yet I had the exact opposite experience with Direct Line several years ago, in fact it was this experience that made me the price comparison fiend I am now.

They kept putting my premiums up with every rollover/renew till I got wise to them and then when I phoned to cancel they said they could reduce the premiums by half to keep my loyalty.

"Well if you want my loyalty you shouldn't have ripped me off in the hope I wouldn't (or until) I noticed."

Of course this is standard practice with many others as well.

If you use a price-comparison website, set the policy start date as far into the future as possible - the comparison-site algorithm adds more to the price for insurance starting sooner, but when you call the insurer, they'll honour the quote but start it sooner! Perfect for if your renewal is sooner than you'd realised!!

Been with Greenlight for the past couple of years, excellent - didn't even cost a penny to swap from my MX5 to my Mitsubishi FTO, despite it being the rarest and most insurance unfriendly version. Even got to listen to AC/DC whilst on hold.

Been with Greenlight (via Highway) myself for several years, extremely competitive considering it's a modified car, premium even dropped £100 this year. Also a total pleasure to deal with.

Back