I suspect it is easy but I can't grasp it

Asha

Blithering Idiot
Name
Asha
Edit My Images
Yes
OK I admit that when it comes to computers and software I'm a bit thick! :LOL:

This LF film image has evidence of light leakage from the top ( the fairly distinct white line descending through the sky)

I work with PSE 5.0 ( laugh if you wish as I know it's ancient but it suffices for my needs and i feel no purpose in upgrading as I've never mastered this version!)

So I have a very basic understanding and ability at cloning but it is VERY basic and when it comes to selections / masking etc, I find it impossibe to get "clean" results simply because i don't understand fully what I am doing and more importantly exactly how the tools work.

By "clean" I mean, like in this pic, retouching the sky so it doesn't look like it has been tampered with.
I've had a play and constantly find the shades of grey and the clouds simply don't marry up thus the end result looks totally unnatural.

Would someone please be kind enough to explain as if to a 10 year old, how to PP the sky to leave it as it is with the clouds but without the light entry mark.
Alternatively link me to a tutorial that covers exactly this task ( without having to view hours of blah blah blah to get to what i need)
Thanks! ;)

Original File.jpg

Patience!
Small sections with the transparency of the cloned bits set to 50% or so with a decent feather edge to the brush and go over the image in vertical strokes. You might need to flip the image then clone from the flipped one into the one above to get the side to side vignetting the same. Once you have eliminated the stripe, play with the clouds, again using relatively low transparency and multiple stamps to build up the "new" cloud.

If it was 35,,., I'd suggest you sent me the file to have a go at it - oddly, I don't mind playing with pictures, I just dislike having to do it to mine! IF you can think of a way to get it to me at a reasonable file size etc., I'll see what I can do with it - easier than trying to talk you through it.

oddly, I don't mind playing with pictures, I just dislike having to do it to mine!
:LOL:

! IF you can think of a way to get it to me at a reasonable file size etc., I'll see what I can do with it - easier than trying to talk you through it.

The original TIFF file is 177Mo.

It's possible to send it via WeTransfer but I would need an email address.

If you're happy to PM me an addy then I'll send the the original scan file through to you to have a play with and completely retouch it if you like including the dust spotting !! :LOL::LOL: ....Only kidding!)

Your explanations make sense to a point .....The problem that I have is I'm one of those people who struggles to learn, and indeed picks things up better by being physically shown.
Once i get a grasp then I generally find myself becoming very good at it***. ( eg just the basics of LF was at first very hard to tackle but very slowly I'm improving and constantly learning more but at my VERY slow pace.)
Out with a LF camera is, for me, thoroughly enjoyable, unlike PP which I'm not keen on, so of course that in itself makes the latter more difficult to learn :confused:

Last edited:
I wouldn't mind having a go at that myself, if you don't mind. While I'm at it, I'LL do the dust spotting :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Do you need my email address?

I wouldn't mind having a go at that myself, if you don't mind. While I'm at it, I'LL do the dust spotting :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Do you need my email address?

To send you the original scan file, yes I need an email addy.

.The problem that I have is I'm one of those people who struggles to learn, and indeed picks things up better by being physically shown.

I'm the opposite (and the same!) - learning new things is really hard for me but I do pick them up if I'm shown them several times and I'm far better at showing people how to do things I CAN do than at telling them how to do them!

177MB might give this 'puter problems - a 240MB TIFF I have of a BIG panorama took it an age to deal with! A first (or even 2nd) generation, top quality JPEG should be high enough quality and rather smaller than that TIFF. If Paul can't do the TIFF, I'll try with a JPEG for you. Or just send me a return ticket... ;) :p

Oy, I’m first!! :p

If all goes well the 170Mo file will be with you in about 20 mins ….that's how much time is showing on the transfer that is presently uploading.

Here's hoping it doesn't crash!

Quick go from me ...

Original File.jpg

If all goes well the 170Mo file will be with you in about 20 mins ….that's how much time is showing on the transfer that is presently uploading.

Here's hoping it doesn't crash!

.... and recieved. I'll have a play later :)

From my experience, many of those old houses with flat roofs like in the picture are prone to leakage.

If you want a file sending Nod, I'll need you to PM me an email addy;)

See how Paul gets on with the TIFF before trying me on a JPEG.

See how Paul gets on with the TIFF before trying me on a JPEG.

I’ve demanded a masterpiece from him so he best come up trumps
! [emoji13]

Up Trump's what? :puke:

Back