i-TTL with Nikon 50mm f1.8 lens

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone have a Nikon D70 with the above lens? If you do, can you try one thing for me?

Try shooting something from 2 feet away using the 50mm lens and the internal flash using Manual exposure mode...

I tried it tonight and the image came out really over-exposed - most of the it was blown out. Switching to Program mode yields an altogether better exposure. I repeated this little test on my 18-70 AF-S lens and the exposures in M and P modes came out the same as each other.

I can only assume that i-TTL doesn't work on the 50mm lens in Manual mode. Or is it just my lens that's at fault? (Incidentally, I have upgraded the D70 firmware to v2)

Ta

Chris

EDIT: Just tried this again to see if I'm finally losing my mind (!!!), and this is what I got shooting the same subject at different apertures:

50mm, f1.8 - image ok
50mm, f11 - image over-exposed
50mm, f22 - image burnt out

18-70mm, f4.5 - image ok
18-70mm, f13 - image ok
18-70mm, f22 - image ok

Almost like the flash is over-compensating or something with smaller apertures on the 50mm or something... :nut:

Problem solved - I took the thing apart!!! Aperture mechanism was jamming, and seeing as a new lens can be bought for 70 quid, I got my screwdrivers out...

So now I've saved myself a bit of cash and got a working lens again... :banana: :dance:

It's nice when you fix something isn't it?

I always get a warm glow when I get something going again. Best was someones dvd player. Tiny spring surgery ahoy!

Cars, however, I wouldn't know where to start!

If its broken and you have already decided that you will have to replace it, then you have nothing to lose by opening it up and having a fiddle. Sometimes you will fix it and others you won't but either way you will see what makes it work and get a better understanding. Hours of fun. :D

I am pleased you got it working. :)

Steve said:
I am pleased you got it working. :)

Not half as pleased as I am! :laugh2:

For starters the Nikon 50mm f1.8 prime is an awesome bit of glass, and secondly it frees up a little moolah for some lighting...

Back