weekly IanD's 52 For 2018 (Week 11 - Wet)

Great photograph. A menacing feel and you've definitely conveyed the feeling that this is somewhere you shouldn't go.

Thanks Lee.

Best bit is that I saw the challenge thread and thought I'd have a go, grabbed the camera and walked up the road to the edge of the 'badlands ', turned the camera on an had no memory card!

Had to go back for Take 2

Thanks Lee.

Best bit is that I saw the challenge thread and thought I'd have a go, grabbed the camera and walked up the road to the edge of the 'badlands ', turned the camera on an had no memory card!

Had to go back for Take 2
I think we've all done that!

Welcome aboard the 52 train, Ian, and I hope you enjoy your 52 challenge. Determination is good; you might need that from time to time! :)

You're off to a great start with this one. B&W is the right choice and there's a strong feeling of foreboding because you can't really see what is at the end of the tunnel. You can see something but you don't know whether it's good or bad.... As for the determined walk there only to find you'd forgotten your memory card, I agree with Tim that we've probably all done that :D

Nice start and if that is the entrance to the badlands I am not going down there! B and W works well, I would be worried about what's hiding in the dark at the end!

Welcome aboard the 52 train, Ian, and I hope you enjoy your 52 challenge. Determination is good; you might need that from time to time! :)

You're off to a great start with this one. B&W is the right choice and there's a strong feeling of foreboding because you can't really see what is at the end of the tunnel. You can see something but you don't know whether it's good or bad....

Thanks Andrea - I love B&W because it hides so much of my photographic failings ;)

Nice start and if that is the entrance to the badlands I am not going down there! B and W works well, I would be worried about what's hiding in the dark at the end!

Thanks also Clive

Lovely shot of the dog whats not to like there excellent choice for the theme

Lovely shot of the dog whats not to like there excellent choice for the theme

Cheers Allan - only had the one chance today to get that shot with him so was pleased

Good urban shot for week 0, suits the mono. Gate, what's not to like about a black lab,good focus through the gate bars.

Thanks Andrea - I love B&W because it hides so much of my photographic failings ;)

LOL. I think we've all tried that at some point :D

That's a lovely image for Gate; the dog's lovely face peeping through the railings with a wistful expression and the eye contact is excellent. A bonus is the way the green railings match the smooth background, too (y)

Love the expression on the dogs face! Like he's just waiting to be let out.

To me, something looks a bit strange with the bars? The two centre ones look to me to be more in focus than the two middle ones. Has the image had a major perspective correction?

Love the expression on the dogs face! Like he's just waiting to be let out.

To me, something looks a bit strange with the bars? The two centre ones look to me to be more in focus than the two middle ones. Has the image had a major perspective correction?

Cheers Jon

Can't see the bars issue myself but what would I know, I spend half my time trying to find my glasses! I would have thought the if anything, the more central bits would be closer to being in focus if the eyes are. This was shot at f/4.5

Great start Ian. The tunnel looks great in B&W and you certainly get the feeling of a no go area. The face on that dog is so gorgeous. Great focus on the eyes and lovely wet nose:D

Hi Ian,

My Area - I had to have a peek in the shadows at the end of the underpass. It looks like a giant lego man !
I do like a nice bit of urban art, and this is definitely more than just tagging, so well worth the shot.
I agree with the other comments that the B&W processing, and night time shot make it look foreboding. I would be interested to see a colour version too.
Gate(d) - Aw, he does look sad, waiting behind bars waiting for his walk.
You've caught a great expression there.

Lovely shot of the Lab behind the gate, I like that a lot!

Last edited:
Hi Ian,

My Area - I had to have a peek in the shadows at the end of the underpass. It looks like a giant lego man !
I do like a nice bit of urban art, and this is definitely more than just tagging, so well worth the shot.
I agree with the other comments that the B&W processing, and night time shot make it look foreboding. I would be interested to see a colour version too.

Thanks again. Yeah, the 'mural' runs the length of the underpaths. I'll take some shots some time soon to show you when my 16-35 turns up

Welcome and good luck with your 2018 52 challenge.

Week 0 - good urban shot, gives me a sense that I shouldn't want to walk through there with all the graffiti on the walls and the Mono conversion adds drama to the image.

Gate(d) - a great shot of Watson behind the gate, suits the theme, nice work.

My area - I Don't think I want to go there on my own, looks menacing well captured.
Gated - From scary to cute in 2 pictures, Good DoF the I hope you took him for that walk

My area - I Don't think I want to go there on my own, looks menacing well captured.
Gated - From scary to cute in 2 pictures, Good DoF the I hope you took him for that walk

Thanks Minx - yup, he went for the walk and got us all covered in mud!

Great shot of Watson Ian. I imagine he didn't stay still for long if he was expecting a walk. Very expressive face.

Hi IanD and welcome

0. Menacing, as @LancsLee says above, and fits the frame very nicely.

1. Love it .. a forlorn but cuddly looking dog behind bars. Well captured. (y)

Very nice Gate shot Sir, with the added interest of the dog with a lovely expression.(y)

George.

Gate
I like it (I might be slightly biased, I've got a black lab).

Thank you one and all for your very encouraging comments - only 51 to go ;)

Great gate shot with a sad looking dog behind. I'm sure he is excited, not sad...

Hi Ian

2 Great images to start your challange off with

My Area - Really gritty image the mono conversion really gives it a sinister feeling.

Gate(d) - Poor Winston he looks so sad like he's locked up! Great idea and well captured and a good use of DoF

Hi Ian

2 Great images to start your challange off with

My Area - Really gritty image the mono conversion really gives it a sinister feeling.

Gate(d) - Poor Winston he looks so sad like he's locked up! Great idea and well captured and a good use of DoF

Thanks very much for your feedback Mini

ps.... Winston sure would look sad as he's name is Watson

Nice idea for the theme, I did consider something similar...Looks a bit yellow here, but may have been intentional ?

Making me hungry too....

Cheers Mark - took me a while to think of something a bit different. Does look a bit yellow now I look at it but i'm glad to have got this one out of the way early as no chance this week of catching actual real physical people kinda people

Seems Mark beat me to the question over whether the yellow colour cast was intentional.
Sounds like it wasn't.
What editing software are you using? Most will have a white balance tool, which could restore the colours using a single click on the paper.

I didn't realise the Sunday People was even still a thing !!!
Good alternative take on the theme, I think we can say it's properly on theme without actually having people in it.
can you send some of that breakfast round for me pls.

Some nice shots to start your first 52 for sure...

love the first shot of the empty tunnel, the lights on the ceiling lead through the shot great !!!
Gate - Nice combination having a dog in there, and what a fantastic look from it you have captured :)
People - WB is off yes but but a great idea, I like seeing things done differently :)

Look forward to seeing the rest of your 52 Ian.

Back