weekly IanD's 52 Week 2019 Walk Of Shame - Week 26 - Drink

New....a better crop maybe but works well for the theme
Clean.... excellent shot of the building I really like that

Hi matey.

New - I like the colours on the tape measure complimenting the colour on the mag. Nice and sharp, but I'm not sold on the bed spread as a background. Maybe a nice wooden coffee table would have made the magazine pop a bit more.

Clean - Love the clean lines! I had thoughts along these lines but couldn't find the right building. The mono processing works well. It's super sharp and super neat.

Lovely clean lines, works very well in mono.

Thanks very much Jon

Cracking image, love the B&W processing.(y)
I really like the use of reflections and the crop works well too - the slightly off-centre composition gives it an interesting feel, and the gentle vignette brings you nicely into the lines of the architecture.
Great tones in the sky too!
Very nice work Ian!

Thanks Gareth. I do like the processing part of things as much as getting the right image to play with. And I kinda knew it would be slightly off-centre due to the 16-35mm lens low down and pointing up, but I like the effect in the right circumstances

Clean Lines, Tick :)
Mono Processing shows it off well.
Helps with the sky too.
(y)

Thanks Tim. Was a good sky at the right time :)

Very nice Ian, just the sort of photo I really like, simple but effective, a perfect choice too in the b&w.

Thanks Susie. Much appreciated

Really love this! I like the range of tones- nice deep blacks in the sky, velvet smooth mid tones on the front of the building and then nice bright whites in the windows to add a pop of contrast. I think you've processed it perfectly, and the image suits the theme perfectly. Nicely done.

Thanks very much Carl. I did spend a bit of time with the sliders in Lightroom and you never really know whether it's too much or not. I was happy with how it turned out though

Clean is a good shot and yes good clean lines and the tones and sky set off the shot well.

Thanks very much Dave

Nice one, Ian (y) I have begun to enjoy photographing buildings in recent years and this is a super fit for the theme with those great lines and curves, and all that glass. B&W is a good choice too, putting all the attention on the shape of the building itself - and those lines are very clean.

Thanks Andrea. I love the modern architecture out there and it's fascinating how you can make it look with a camera and a bit of thought. Can't beat it :)

I like this a lot. Have you added a vignette to the sky or is the darker corners natural? either way I think it works to frame the building. One small point, and I don't know if it would have been possible, but I would have preferred the bottom right glass part of the building to start in the corner like the left hand side does.

Hi Steve, thanks for the comments. Yes, there is a cylindrical vignette on this. I didn't want to over-do it but thought it added to the drama. I did have a few goes at a tiny crop to straighten things but every way I moved it, there was something else not quite right so I left as it s

New....a better crop maybe but works well for the theme
Clean.... excellent shot of the building I really like that

Thanks Allan. Would be interested to see the crop you would have done? Feel free if you like

Hi matey.

New - I like the colours on the tape measure complimenting the colour on the mag. Nice and sharp, but I'm not sold on the bed spread as a background. Maybe a nice wooden coffee table would have made the magazine pop a bit more.

Clean - Love the clean lines! I had thoughts along these lines but couldn't find the right building. The mono processing works well. It's super sharp and super neat.

Thanks very much Ross, now you mentioned about the coffee table, that would have worked a lot better. Good spot mate.

And, not sure why but thought you lived in Guildford although your profile says London - if it's the latter, how could you not find the right building - it's a photographer's dream up there and wish I could spend more time there.

Thanks for the comments

Thanks very much Ross, now you mentioned about the coffee table, that would have worked a lot better. Good spot mate.

And, not sure why but thought you lived in Guildford although your profile says London - if it's the latter, how could you not find the right building - it's a photographer's dream up there and wish I could spend more time there.

Thanks for the comments
Yea. I used to live right in central london and had the pick of all the square mile buildings which was amazing but ive moved to surbiton now so just far enough out of london to have to make time for a trip up there now.

Love your open subject.

Nice clean lines to that building, the sky tones in very well too. I can't make my mind up if the whiter additional bit is a distraction or not :confused::D

Excellent good thinking and the B+W is perfect for the subject

I really like the Open image, plenty to look at and the eye is drawn around the image nicely, looks great in B&W too.

That's a bit fab that is :D

Clean - nice clean lines the building on the side is not a problem to me
Open:- I like that it works well in mono

Last edited:
very nice take the theme sorted 3 times over :)
I do like the grain in the wood etc works very well with it.

Very nice image for open Ian, think it could look better if the wood is a bit darker but still a good shot.

Thanks Dave. I spent ages tweaking it in Lightroom but struggled to get anything that I was completely happy with as I kept taking away from different parts of the image by tweaking others

Love your open subject.

Thanks very much Rob

Nice clean lines to that building, the sky tones in very well too. I can't make my mind up if the whiter additional bit is a distraction or not :confused::D

Thanks Georgina. I was a bit torn too but taking it out might have compromised the shape of what was left to show

Excellent good thinking and the B+W is perfect for the subject

Thank you Allan

I really like the Open image, plenty to look at and the eye is drawn around the image nicely, looks great in B&W too.

Many thanks Jim

Excellent image Ian.
I like the mono processing and it's full of detail...love the wood texture.
Very nice work!(y)

Thank you Gareth

Excellent shot and idea.

Thanks Bob, for the comment

That's a bit fab that is :D

Thanks for the fab comment too Dave

I like that it works well in mono

Thank you very much

I agree with the other comments, it works well in B&W and the soft lighting is good too.

Many thanks Tim

I think this is a really nice image. The mono processing is pleasing but having said all that I like to see a bit more breathing space on the left for the bottom lever.

Thanks Stan. I knew that as soon as I took it and tried to get as much (not much) separation at the left of the latch but the bit you can't see is my log store right next to this, which would have ruined the continuation of the gate panel IMO

very nice take the theme sorted 3 times over :)
I do like the grain in the wood etc works very well with it.

Thanks very much Peter

Nice shot, it certainly suits B&W. I like that :)

Clean
Nice clean lines and a good sky.

Open
That's pretty good, I like the crop and all the elements fit the theme.

Lovely photo for open. Love all the textures and the wood looks good as it is.

Great texture and the perfect subject for black and white. Really well composed too. I think I'd prefer darker shadows to make the gaps and cracks look almost black, but that's a personal preference. Nice job :)

Cracking shot for Open. The mono conversion you have done has really bought out the metallic nature of the ironwork. Perfect for the theme too. :)

Being a bit late this week I can't add anything new to all the comments above, Ian; it's a really good idea and result, with all those textures and so much to look at. It would be nice to have a little bit more space on the left hand side of the image but that's being nit-picky and I do like all the different 'open' items (y)

Hi Ian,

Clean - I'm a fan of Mono building photos like this, something i'd like to capture myself in the future. Could sit and look at the detail for ages.

Open - I like the multiple uses of open. Again fan of the mono and the detail in the image.

Great Stuff.

Nice shot, it certainly suits B&W. I like that :)

Thanks very much Rick

Love this ...nowt else to say :)

Again, thanks very much for looking and commenting

Clean
Nice clean lines and a good sky.

Open
That's pretty good, I like the crop and all the elements fit the theme.

Thanks very much Dom

Perfect Ian, like this a lot

Thanks Chris

Lovely photo for open. Love all the textures and the wood looks good as it is.

Many thanks Mandy

Great texture and the perfect subject for black and white. Really well composed too. I think I'd prefer darker shadows to make the gaps and cracks look almost black, but that's a personal preference. Nice job :)

Thanks Carl - you may well be right. I got the textures but maybe there was room for a little darkening of the blacks or shadows

Cracking shot for Open. The mono conversion you have done has really bought out the metallic nature of the ironwork. Perfect for the theme too. :)

Thanks very much Lee

Being a bit late this week I can't add anything new to all the comments above, Ian; it's a really good idea and result, with all those textures and so much to look at. It would be nice to have a little bit more space on the left hand side of the image but that's being nit-picky and I do like all the different 'open' items (y)

Thanks Andrea, and i'm with you. See my reply to rpn earlier :)

Hi Ian,

Clean - I'm a fan of Mono building photos like this, something i'd like to capture myself in the future. Could sit and look at the detail for ages.

Open - I like the multiple uses of open. Again fan of the mono and the detail in the image.

Great Stuff.

Thanks Dom. I love mono and until the Spring starts to get a bit more colourful, I nearly always choose to convert to mono

New - lovely idea for the theme, good placement of the items lovely colours.
Clean - B&W really suits this image lots of nice clean lines throughout the image.
Open - another nice shot from you lovely detail in the wood and on the locks, crop suits the image.

Very much liking Open, the wood texture is well captured and B&w is perfect for the subject. Good job

Great concept Ian!(y)
Effective use of DoF to enhance the 'distant' feel, and tastefully lit too....I like the vignette!
Nice work.

I must book an appointment to see the opticians....I'm a few years overdue....thanks for reminding me Ian!!:giggle:

Gareth said was I was going to. A nice simple idea artistically expressed.

Nice take on the theme :)

Very effective and a wonderful idea for the theme, I guess it is called visual onomatopeia. :rolleyes:
I was thinking that maybe the other way round would also work - with DISTANT in focus at the bottom and then fading upwards/backwards?
Or even, with a horizontal shot, the word could be typed in a staggered way to imitate a winding road?

Back