IBM have just saved the planet

Name
Stewart
Edit My Images
Yes
... or at least, that's what it sounds like to me.

https://www.ibm.com/blogs/research/2019/12/heavy-metal-free-battery/

TL, DR: IBM Research has discovered a chemistry for a new battery which does not use heavy metals or other substances with sourcing concerns. The materials for this battery are able to be extracted from seawater, laying the groundwork for less invasive sourcing techniques than current material mining methods. Just as promising as this new battery’s composition is its performance potential. In initial tests, it proved it can be optimized to surpass the capabilities of lithium-ion batteries in a number of individual categories including lower costs, faster charging time, higher power and energy density, strong energy efficiency and low flammability.

Wow.

TL, DR: IBM Research has discovered a chemistry for a new battery which does not use heavy metals or other substances with sourcing concerns. The materials for this battery are able to be extracted from seawater, laying the groundwork for less invasive sourcing techniques than current material mining methods. Just as promising as this new battery’s composition is its performance potential. In initial tests, it proved it can be optimized to surpass the capabilities of lithium-ion batteries in a number of individual categories including lower costs, faster charging time, higher power and energy density, strong energy efficiency and low flammability.

Wow.
Bring it on

Short on actual science, but potentially very promising. I await the arrival of actual product on the market with interest.

Wow.

Just wait until they figure out they could have made it from seawater....until we filled it with plastic :)

That low flammability thing is going to be huge. The other things may save the planet - but that means we can fly wherever we want with them.

I note it still needs lithium, which iirc can be found in seawater in tiny amounts, but is usually mined. Excellent news though

Most things can be found in sea water in tiny amounts. Hopefully IBM can pull this off.

It will NOT save planet (does it even need 'saving'?) but it will hopefully advance battery tech where it is more useful and practical to use in drones and cars, or even a longer life for your laptop or phone.

Remember they still need to be charged and energy needs to come from somewhere.

P.S. The article really doesn't reveal anything at all just wait for a big new next thing. Maybe they are waiting for patent or keeping it closed from competition like a few companies do.

Solar power is one environmentally friendly way of charging them. Isn't Apple's fancy new HQ powered completed by solar panels on the roof?

Publicity departments for big tech companies are engaged in a constant struggle to make their employers seem like a good investment. Just as well there are so many gullible investors who fall for this sort of "announcement". :naughty:

Great read, thanks. They discuss how it equals or exceeds existing battery technologies for specific criteria but do not mention energy density by weight (only volume), which suggests it might not be as good as existing tech. This is an important factor if the battery is to be used in electric cars or other vehicles

Back