IC434 and NGC2024 (The Horsehead and the Flame nebula) in widefield

Name
Sara
Edit My Images
Yes
The Horsehead Nebula (also known as Barnard 33 and IC434 ) is a dark nebula in the constellation Orion. The nebula is located just to the south of the star Alnitak, which is farthest east on Orion's Belt, and is part of the much larger Orion Molecular Cloud Complex.

It is located approximately 1500 light years from earth. The Flame Nebula, designated as NGC 2024 and Sh2-277, is an emission nebula on the lower left of the central horsehead.

This is a combination of 27x30 minute exposures, so a total of 13.5 hours of total exposure.

You can see a larger res version on my website here

View attachment 93961

Thanks Jan - I was thinking about adding colour, but perhaps that can wait until next year..... I've got terrible weather here in Spain, I really want to get the dual system up and running and I've got a bigger scope awaiting the mount too :)

:agree: Stunning! Almost 3D in depth. Your dedication and patience has worked wonders, Sara,well done. It's difficult for non astro-togs to grasp the workflow that's gone into a picture like this unless they've tried it! :)

Thanks Jim! Glad that you like it. I guess that the hardest thing to get your head around (as a normal daytime tog) is that I can easily spend 8-10 hours processing just one picture :)

I can see a horses head in that one Sara ...
.. Oh wait a minute :D

Another brilliant series of images..
1500 light years from earth.
but that is the bit I can't get my head around!

Super photo......

I have been trying to capture this with my low level equipment.

Not sure Olympus is the right gear for the job.......................

Mj

Thanks Jim! Glad that you like it. I guess that the hardest thing to get your head around (as a normal daytime tog) is that I can easily spend 8-10 hours processing just one picture :)
Yes! It's just like the old days for me, spending all afternoon in the darkroom with one usable print.:) Imagine trying amateur astro-photography without digital!

Excellent image Sarah :)

If you could travel across from one side to the other, how far?

Thanks Steve :) Stupidly I was convinced that another pane about this one would look good and so that's what I'm doing ... I must be mad!!! On the plus side, it looks like I have the dual set up all running now, so two scopes taking the same pictures means double the exposure in the same time :)

Yes it is.... I've also done a pane above it now and I think it turned out better :) Bear in mind though, it's not only about the scope.... it depends on what camera your Dad is using as to whether he'd get this field of view :)

Amazing stuff, so as it was in the year 517 ... time-lapse indeed! :)

Thanks Gramps and Alan....... I have since added to this one in the form of a mosaic above this pane...... It has certainly added something extra to it and I'm glad that I spent the time doing it ..... I'll post it up later :)

Really beautiful and hard to get your head around when you try to imagine what it is, but it looks spectacular.

Back