Ice Caving, Iceland

smr

Name
Joel
Edit My Images
No
Absolutely incredible. Does the ice really look like that when you're in there (that kind of blue) or is that something that shows through more with a long exposure?

Reactions: smr
Absolutely incredible. Does the ice really look like that when you're in there (that kind of blue) or is that something that shows through more with a long exposure?

Thanks, it was an amazing experience. Yes the ice does look that blue :)

Excellent set (y)

I imagine the photographs just don't do the location justice!

These are truly awesome.:clap::)

It looks like a great location, unfortunately they've been closed for the past two weeks due to increasing temperatures (you wouldn't believe it being here) and longer day light so are starting to fill back up with water. The season's finished now so will have to come back (again) to try and shoot them.

Thanks guys! Yes David, one of the reasons we went to Iceland was to see the the locations and sights that can really be only seen during the Winter... unfortunately the weather wasn't really on our side and our itinerary meant staying in two places - at Vik and Reykjavik... it seemed to be that the good weather appeared at one place when we were at the other! Therefore we weren't fortunate enough to see the Northern Lights but probably the most memorable part of our Holiday was the Ice Cave for me, it's just such a surreal experience. I want to go back to Iceland but I'd probably go during the Summer or late spring so that I can take photographs with better weather.

A really "Excellent" set of images Joel.(y)

George.

Great colours there Joel, now wished I'd done the ice cave tour last month.

Thanks guys.

Paul: If you want to experience it I recommend to book quite ahead in advance, I booked in November / December and the week I went in February was almost booked up!

Great shots. You must have bracketed the heck out of them. I was not very pleased with my ice caves shots ( I did not bracket ) I certainly did not get the deep blues you have. The day we were there it was beautiful bright blue skies.

To be honest if I went back I would not do the caves again.

I remember seeing beneath the Columbia Icefield many moons ago (pre-digital), and being flabbergasted by the blue colour.
Your images are wonderful.

Half fancied the ice cave trip but decided to dip out of it. Mild claustrophobia made the decision for me really - I would probably be OK in there but the possibility of a hasty exit put me off the (not insignificant) spend. Love all the images I've seen from those who have done the trip though, thanks for posting them (and helping save me £100+!)

Hi Joel, I have to say stunning images, Iceland has been on my bucket list for some time, but having just come back from Arctic Norway don't think the boss will wear another trip the end of this year:(.
I think I'd have to do the winter thing though. The Arctic was stunning in the snow and throw in the Eclipse and Aurora and it made it something special, now up to my ears in shots to sort through:).

Sorry you didn't have the weather, but I guess its somewhere that will keep drawing you back ! I love the caves the colours and the shapes in the ice are just stunning, and nicely exposed. Great textures if you can call them that and so many highlights rippling through the myriad of blues, excellent stuff. Lovely set Joel Well done

Wow these are beautiful, really spectacular. So amazing to be in a place like that which will only ever look like that at that moment in time and probably doesn't exist now. Nature at its most special.

Great shots. You must have bracketed the heck out of them. I was not very pleased with my ice caves shots ( I did not bracket ) I certainly did not get the deep blues you have. The day we were there it was beautiful bright blue skies.

To be honest if I went back I would not do the caves again.

Hi, I just stumbled back upon this thread and had to look up what bracketing was! No, nothing like that - all of the shots were single photos and exposures with one go / settings on each.

Wow, surreal landscapes. Really well captured, I imagine its probably difficult conditions in which to shoot, but these look awesome

Thanks.... It was very difficult actually...

A) I've only had a DSLR since Christmas, and the trip was in February.
B) There was a torrential downpour that day which lasted from about 12pm right through to 10pm at night and probably longer with hardly any breaks.... the Ice caving was at 2pm and it was chucking it down, either the rain was coming through the ceiling of the cave some or it was the cave itself dripping but it was really wet, a few other more seasoned photographers had rain covers on their DSLRs... I had nothing, and my D700 isn't weather sealed either. When we went outside the caves on a bit of a hike my Camera got so much water in that it died, I hardly slept that night but luckily the next morning it turned on after leaving it to thoroughly dry out!

Back