Ice Hockey net action

KIPAX

Seriously Likeable
Name
KIPAX Lancashire UK
Edit My Images
No
I like little scenes in front of the net.. theres action all around including scuffles and fights.. but I prefer action in front of the net... these from last sundays Blackburn Hawks game..only there for the first 20 minute period but happy with these :)

Canon 1dxMkII Canon 70-200 f2.8 mkII
ISO 6400, F2.8 s\1250

hawks2018_001.jpg

hawks2018_002.jpg

hawks2018_003.jpg

hawks2018_004.jpg

hawks2018_005.jpg

Brave guys there, images catch the drama well.

Great clear images with loads of action. I like them.

On another note if you find five minutes I'd really value your opinion on the rugby images I posted in this section. I've tried to PM you but it won't go through. I'm guessing you have that feature switched off.

Very nice shots, what was your focussing method?

Single center focus point.. In demanding light I want it to focus exactly where I am pointing..... AI Servo . using BBF and shooting over the plexi from distance not against and over... distance gives a leveling effect/aspect so not much difference than as if shooting through the plexi... I dont see the need to put a couple of inches of dirty 90% clear material between me and the subject... :)

Unfortunatly after more than ten years shooting Ice Hockey I no longer cover it........ Was always there for the paper and they stopped paying for non pro sports :(

Thanks Kipax, so did you do a lot of cropping or did you focus and recompose?
My boys play ice hockey (usually in badly-lit old icehalls) and sometimes try to take pics (which is really hard with a 70-300 5.6 lens....). I was asked to take some pics of the club A team game at the wekend which was a little easier as could stand at the edge of the dugout with no safety screen), but really stressful!! I've tried single point focus but missed too many shots, so this time I used auto select (which may of helped). Will post some of the pics at the weekend....

This fast.. can't focus and recompose (well not for me anyway) track the guy wiht the puck usually :) A bit of cropping not too much as 200mm f2.8 from where i am positioned frames it nicely.. usually straightening though and a bit cropped ..iso 6400 so not the brightest and with it being so fast gotta keep shutter up..

I do miss shooting ice hockey now though..

Back