Ice Hockey Shots ( Finally )

Are they shot through the plexiglass? I'm not familiar with ice hockey one bit, so is the plexiglass all the way around?

I guess these are from the new rink at IAW ! Ive shoot there a couple of times and found that its really difficult shooting through the plexi.Personally,I would try and get up a bit higher along the Blue line where you can shoot over the Plexi.
These are a couple from this position.Hope this helps !!
https://flic.kr/p/M6HLVd
https://flic.kr/p/GgLkSu

It's an interesting sport to capture isn't it? Fast paced under artificial light. What a combination! I have shot a few games now, all through the plexi as the option to get above the glass is not available....yet. Hoping that changes soon to give me another option on shots, but they seem to come out OK through the glass

one example:
20161022013 by Steve Bird, on Flickr

Went to Toronto a few weeks ago and managed to get front row at a Marlies game. The plexiglass was in a right old state but managed to get a lot of shots.

When I got back though and edited them, the De-Haze slider in LR worked an absolute treat!

Something to think about if you use LR or PS (y)

Went to Toronto a few weeks ago and managed to get front row at a Marlies game. The plexiglass was in a right old state but managed to get a lot of shots.

When I got back though and edited them, the De-Haze slider in LR worked an absolute treat!

Something to think about if you use LR or PS (y)
Don't get me started on LR having issues with it creating subfolders instead of adding to existing!!!
Would love to shoot out in Canada btw

Last edited:
Stcking a big lump of see through plastic in front of your lens.... only at ice hockey... i prefer sitting in the seats with a longer lens and shooting over the plexi.. shots are clear :) www.kipax.com/hockey

Its certainly possible to get good images through the glass,but definitely easier over the top !

Last edited:
Tried for the first time today too - although I'd read the light is usually poor I had not appreciated quite how bad. I found myself at 1/2000th to really freeze the action meaning very high ISO. Attempted some panning too.

1. PS3A6318 by Good Lux Photos, on Flickr

2. PS3A6392 by Good Lux Photos, on Flickr

Back