Non UK Iceland Advice January

Name
Jim
Edit My Images
Yes
Toying with heading to iceland for a few days, 1st week in jan before back to work. Might or might not have Mrs T and/or pair of grown daughters in tow. Way flights work would be 3.5 or 5 full days leaving on jan 1.

Would be first time to iceland and would be interested in recommendations for recommendations on how to approach 3.5 days or 5 days at that time of year. I will review some of the earlier posts but a lot of these i’ve looked at are for more summer/ autumn so especially interested in thoughts from those who have been midwinter

I note late sunrise, early sunset with 4-4.5 hrs daylight but assume there’s an extended twilight period or am i just hoping for more shooting time

Well, I haven't been then but think, given the winds we encountered in the spring that you would want to be a confident experienced winter driver even with the tyres being studded [or whatever].

Well, I haven't been then but think, given the winds we encountered in the spring that you would want to be a confident experienced winter driver even with the tyres being studded [or whatever].

Goes without saying that if you dont think you can drive in the likely conditions then get the tour bus. If you do think you can drive in the likely conditions then keep an eye on travel and weather information and deal with situation as is, not as how you would like it to be. Would be planning to hire 4x4 and not go too far off the main road

I’m only looking at that particular timeframe as the office closes for 2 weeks over xmas/ new yr. The time from after the bells to going back to work is usually dead but if i can fit in a photo break then great. Other places might be considered but review Iceland first

Well, goes without saying it may be.... but others who read this might not be aware of the likely conditions - regardless of what they would like it to be. We could barely get the car door open at times and at one point I thought it might break my legs getting back in. The week before a car on the way to the hotel we stayed at - prior to going to jokulsarlon in the driving rain - was lifted off the road and thrown onto the volcanic stuff at the side whilst rocks the size of water melons were flying around.

Well, goes without saying it may be.... but others who read this might not be aware of the likely conditions - regardless of what they would like it to be. We could barely get the car door open at times and at one point I thought it might break my legs getting back in. The week before a car on the way to the hotel we stayed at - prior to going to jokulsarlon in the driving rain - was lifted off the road and thrown onto the volcanic stuff at the side whilst rocks the size of water melons were flying around.

I'm sorry to hear about the weather conditions when you went to Iceland at a different time from when I'm proposing to go. Hope it didn't impact too much on your ability to get shots,

OK, you don't about my driving confidence or abilities. I'm a confident winter driver. I do 10'000s miles a year driving all over Scotland. I had a cottage for work in the Cairngorms for a couple of years recently which was at 800 feet altitude and it was a place where the gritters didn't get to until last so slippy steep roads with tight bends just need to be dealt with as a matter of course- adjust driving to the conditions, not hope the conditions let you drive like it's a summers day. I regularly do the Cockridge to Tomintoul Road which is usually the first to close in winter weather. When the weather conditions dictate, I'll change route, plans or not drive at all based upon the conditions. With this in mind, I still drive in snow, ice, wet weather, dry weather and high winds- that's called Monday afternoon :). I can't cater for others confidence or driving skills and that's not the question that the post is about.

Now back on topic, any advise on what you were able to see that would give recommendations for 3.5 or 5 days of shooting in Iceland?

Well good for you on the driving front. A thread, however, isn't just about what the author might want to get from it himself - others read and might learn something, as I have done many times on here, that is useful to know. . Anyway, enjoy your trip.

Anyone not feart of the possibility of windy weather have anything to add on the actual topic of the thread?

I honestly dont need driving advice for the potential conditions and promise not to be surprised or confused that it might be cold, snowy, wet or windy if venturing north of the arctic circle in the middle of winter. I wont be overly disappointed if the light isn’t good or the aurora doesnt appear. I’ll even promise to take a scarf and mitts and i might even put them on.

When the weather conditions dictate, I'll change route, plans or not drive at all based upon the conditions.

So this is key to planning a winter trip to Iceland, and it's not down to your ability at all, but because they physically close the roads.

It's why I would recommend driving as far as possible in the direction you want to go as soon as you get there (after the obligatory blue lagoon dip). Then spend the following days making your way back towards the airport.

If you plan it so you get your last night in Iceland at Reykjavik (which is magical in the snow and a really good city to visit), you are close to the airport and shouldn't miss your flight.

Basically what I wouldn't do is plan a 500km drive on your last day to catch a flight!

I'd recommend the south coast, hire a 4x4 with studded tyres, stop at vik (eat at the halldorskaffi it's awesome). Carry onto Hali country hotel to do the glaciers and ice cave tour. If you can afford it do a private 'extreme' one. If you have time go to vestrahorn, there is a reason it's front page on 500px everyday!

By the way, I didn't read @Chipper 's contributions as being argumentative. It really is the brutal wind that causes problems, not the slippery stuff underfoot.

There's windy and Iceland windy. As a poster above said, the roads get closed and there's sod all you can do about it if they are, however much of a driving god you might think you are.
Get good maps for whichever area(s) you plan on visiting and make a note of the distances.
Be prepared for being stuck in one place for a while until the wind dies down.
And by the way, Iceland isn't North of the Arctic Circle...

#feelinginadequate

If it helps, some (but not all) of his images are photoshop composites - he is very open and honest about this, which seems fair enough to me. Its the folk who sneek about pretending its all real and lying about things that I have issues with. I like watching his videos as his genuine enthusiasm and excitement is very touching. He often looks like a kid let loose in a sweet shop.

In one of his videos about a lighthouse, he actually says he does not know what to do as he has such limited light left but wants to do a time lapse and can see many photos he wants to make and is not sure what to do first. Mads says he often ends up actually running when in a really good location, as he cannot bear to just get one photo when he can see several, so its a race against time as he rushes round in the time he has left.

It must be hard for him to fund his trips as I don't think his YouTube subscriptions/views are very high yet as he has not been posting all that long. He has several short series on England, Scotland etc and various European countries. The all give lots of info on how to get to a location and where to park etc. Its a very helpful format. Not many video makers are so willing to support others and share info.

If it helps, some (but not all) of his images are photoshop composites - he is very open and honest about this, which seems fair enough to me. Its the folk who sneek about pretending its all real and lying about things that I have issues with. I like watching his videos as his genuine enthusiasm and excitement is very touching. He often looks like a kid let loose in a sweet shop.

In one of his videos about a lighthouse, he actually says he does not know what to do as he has such limited light left but wants to do a time lapse and can see many photos he wants to make and is not sure what to do first. Mads says he often ends up actually running when in a really good location, as he cannot bear to just get one photo when he can see several, so its a race against time as he rushes round in the time he has left.

It must be hard for him to fund his trips as I don't think his YouTube subscriptions/views are very high yet as he has not been posting all that long. He has several short series on England, Scotland etc and various European countries. The all give lots of info on how to get to a location and where to park etc. Its a very helpful format. Not many video makers are so willing to support others and share info.

I’ve just watched his youtube video on western scotland and really enjoyed his down to earth informative approach. The section with silver birch trees and the interplay of sunlight through moving cloud on the mountains and trees is right up my street, the sort of thing i stop the car for or just soak up. I even seen a photo of Eilean Donan i like and a new take from the east on Kilchurn.

Thanks for the heads up on this guy, i’ll watch a few more of these incl the iceland series in planning.

Thanks for the heads up on this guy, i’ll watch a few more of these incl the iceland series in planning.

Glad it helped. It takes a few minutes to find his stuff, as Iceland in particular is scattered all through his YouTube channel, as he has visited a number of times. I enjoyed his stuff on South West UK as its nearish to me.
I don/t understand why he is not more well known, but all people talk about is Thomas Heaton (who is good, but not the only film maker).

If I cant find a similar thread, I might start a thread on recommended YouTube Landscapers, where people can post suggestions.

Finally got sorted, booked flights, accom and car and have an itinery planned. Mrs T and Daughter 2 coming along.

If I was on my own I'd probably have headed to Vestrahorn as quickly as possible and worked back but with Mrs T and D2 along then it's a mixed trip and Vestrahorn felt just too far for the time available.

Itinery as follows

Day 1 Arrive 19:00 Night 1 Eyerbakki

Day 2 Eyerbakki to Vik,
Skogarfoss Waterfall
Skogar Museum
Sólheimasandur Beach- Crashed Plane
Reynisfjara Beach
Night 2 Vik

Day 3 Vik to Vagnsstaðir
Hof (Church)
Lomagnupor/ Nupsstadur
Fjaðrárgljúfur
Jokulsarlon Ice Diamond Beach Sunset
Night 3 Vagnsstaðir

Day 4 (Fri) Vagnsstaðir to Vik
Ice Diamond Beach Sunrise
Jokulsarlon Ice Caves & Glacier Walk (PM)
Night 4 Vik

Day 5 (Sat) Vik to Reykjavic via Golden Circle
Gulfoss Waterfall
Geysir Cente- Strokkur
Pingvellir Visitor Centre
Night 5 Reykjavic

Day 6 (Sun)
Reykjavic
Blue Lagoon- mid afternoon
Airport 21:00 flight

For those who've been, recognising the ,imited daylight first week in Jan, anything you would add in photographically or miss out. on that list

Will keep an eye out re Northern Lights

Back