Non UK Iceland at the end of July......worth it?

Name
Nigel
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi

I have a week off at the end of July and I'm thinking about Iceland and going on a landscape photo tour/workshop.

Before I start looking, is this time of year in Iceland a good time to go? Of course, I'll be looking at the chance to get dramatic and evocative landscape photographs :)

Thanks in advance for your help

We've been in early/mid June and it was pretty much constant daylight, which messed with our sleep patterns a bit. The weather was changeable, varying from overcast to clear skies. We didn't see much in the way of dramatic sunrise/sunsets, but it was a great place to visit. We didn't know what we were doing in terms of photography (it was nine years ago) so I can't offer much in that respect.

I'd expect you'll get plenty of opportunities for decent shots, and I'd also guess that it might be one of the best tomes of the year to go for reasonable weather.

Last edited:
It's a stunning place, one of my favourite countries and a photographers dream. I went in 2014 in August, as above, it was almost daylight for 24 hours (I went out one night in Akureyri - lovely town - leaving the pub at 0400, seeing the sun dip below the horizon and 5 seconds later pop back up again!). Stunning scenery. My recommendation is to explore and see as much as possible, so many people just fly into Reykjavik and just stay there.

I went in late May/early June. It was amazing. Perfect weather (this was 2012), and very long days.

You will be able to visit places at midnight to photograph them, and there will be no one else there!

You can also do things like Inside The Volcano (https://insidethevolcano.com).

If you get good weather and are willing to put in some strange hours, Iceland can be a fabulous place late July. I especially like the mountain area of Landmannalaugar... the cotton grass should be coming out.

Delighted to see you on here Tony - I've followed you for ages on Flickr - one of my favourite places and your images are stunning!!!! :)
Maria (Fudgepuddle)

Hi

I have a week off at the end of July and I'm thinking about Iceland and going on a landscape photo tour/workshop.

Before I start looking, is this time of year in Iceland a good time to go? Of course, I'll be looking at the chance to get dramatic and evocative landscape photographs :)

Thanks in advance for your help

End of July is well into the main tourist season. Having said that I have some friends who always visit Iceland in July and August - they sleep all day ( in a hired camper van) and photograph all night when the is almost nobody about. The light at that time of year is amazing - a continuous twilight from 11pm to 4pm -- great for photography.
Hope that helps
James

Any time is good for Iceland! Every time of year offers something interesting for photography in my opinion - as @jbw mentions, from what i've read the summer means some great light. I havnt been at that time of year and focused on photography, but the through the night shooting is def something i'd like to try. i recommend checking out arcticshots.is if you just wanted to do a couple of guided tours and do things under your own steam on other days - two really nice guys (and they seem to have added a 3rd guy )

I am planning a photo trip to Iceland this summer and am trying to work the best time to go for long lingering sunsets. Am pretty flexible on dates and the plan is just to hire a car, bring a tent and follow the weather.

I was also thinking July could be the best time but the info I have found on the web is a bit vague so found this thread and thought I would ask if anyone been in the summer and had a recommended time

Many thanks

There is a superb photographers' map for Iceland, mail order from France.
http://international-photographer.com/maps/iceland/

There is loads to do in Iceland, but you have to be aware of daylight hours and the weather, especially the wind. Only 30% of visitors leave the Reykjavik area. I was there in March and it was busier than in August 3 or 4 years ago. Lots of research is worthwhile. There are great places off the beaten track. I've been the whole way round with the family and on my own following the weather. Campsites get packed in the summer and hotels book out way ahead, especially the good ones. Fortunately I now have friends there, including an excellent travel agent, but I'm not giving out details!

It's fabulously expensive. I think I'll post a photo on landscapes, I think it's better in snow.

Last edited:
Thanks Steven, I will take a look at that for locations

My whole week plans are doomed but might be able to manage a long weekend around August bank holiday with a tent so keen to find some different spots

Thanks Steven, I will take a look at that for locations

My whole week plans are doomed but might be able to manage a long weekend around August bank holiday with a tent so keen to find some different spots

A long weekend in July is not a huge amount of time. 70% of tourists go for short trips and travel to the same areas, mostly the south coast. For sunsets and relative peace you could drive up to the Western Isles, Vatnses, Trollskagi or Snafellsjokull.

You can only camp or park overnight at official campsites. There are lots of them, but in the summer they get very busy and I was told you have to plan ahead.

In the 12 years from 2000 to 2012, tourist visitors increased from about 300,000 to 670,000. We went all the way round in July 2013. That year there were about 800,000 visitors. This year they expect 2,000,000.

Cheers Steven, I have done a fair bit of research and have a few places I want to see.

Ideally I do want to head to the North towards Trollskagi but am not going to set an agenda and go nocturnal. I have 4 full days should be enough to find some good places

Leave in Wednesday so just hope the weather is good

Cheers Steven, I have done a fair bit of research and have a few places I want to see.

Ideally I do want to head to the North towards Trollskagi but am not going to set an agenda and go nocturnal. I have 4 full days should be enough to find some good places

In that time I would go round Vatnsnes and Hvitserkur, over to Akureyri, then Godafoss, Husavik, Asbyrgi, Dettifoss, Hverarond, Dimmuborgir, ... That's probably 3 day loop. I went round Trollskagi this March in the snow. Stunning. I would arrange a boat trip either from Hvammstangi (seals) or Husavik (whales). Rafting just down from Varmahlio was also great fun.

Not sure where you will get long lingering sunsets, you need to be in the west, not the north.

This is the key site: http://en.vedur.is/weather/forecasts/areas/
Best to follow the good weather

Last edited:

A few teasers (Budir sunset, Dettifoss, South coast sunrise)

L1009453.jpg Iceland - M9L1009651-Edit.jpgL1009887.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks a lot Steven and great shots, Dettifoss in particular looks immense

Yes I will be following the weather actually downloaded the Veður app earlier so will see where it takes me

Thanks again for your advice, it is much appreciated

Here's one I whacked up the saturation, a place called Litlanesfoss in the east of Iceland. The different Basalt formations, it comes in all shapes and sizes, is one of the truly amazing things.

Iceland - M9L1009720.jpg

A couple more of Basalt, the famous one at the black beach near Vik in winter sunset light and Dverghamrar also in the South with Foss a Sidu in the background. The blue one has no colour adjustment at all, it just looked like that.

L1030957.jpg

L1030996.jpg

Last edited:
Back