Iceland - Beach at Jokulsarlon

Name
Sarah
Edit My Images
No
Just a few images from a trip to Iceland last October. We spent 10 nights travelling the south coast, stopping in Selfoss, Vik, Hofn and near to Jokulsarlon. I struggle to find the time to process images, and when I do I am awful at deciding on whether I like the result or not. C+C welcome!

IMG_1100-Edit-Edit.jpg IMG_1137-Edit.jpg IMG_1162-Edit-2.jpg

IMO the Icelandic light is itself a process and is hard to improve on! When we were there a couple of years ago, I shot JPEG and did pretty much no PP on most shots. We did pretty much the same as you - Southern section of the ring road to Hofn and back, with the Ice Lagoon and beach being my favourite area.
My only comment really is that a person beside the 'bergs gives a hint as to how big some of them are, as long as it can be done safely of course! From the lack of subject movement that your shots show, I'm guessing that they were reasonably big.
Did you see or hear any seals playing on the floes? It was too dark to shoot them when we were there but we could hear them singing at each other!

Ethereal. I might query the highlights in the 2nd, though.
Did you see or hear any seals playing on the floes? It was too dark to shoot them when we were there but we could hear them singing at each other!
Ah - seal song! One of the most lovely things on the planet. Though an ex-lighthouse keeper I know doesn't seem to think much of it.

Very nice set of images Sarah

Number 3 is the stand out winner for me.

As mentioned above, the highlight in no.2 may benefit from a toning down but I love the atmosphere created by your PP

Very nice set of images Sarah

Number 3 is the stand out winner for me.

As mentioned above, the highlight in no.2 may benefit from a toning down but I love the atmosphere created by your PP
:agree:

Lovely set. i was edging to the second image but after seeing the highlight, the third image edges it.

Thanks for the comments (y) I'll take another look at No.2. We walked along the beach a reasonable distance to the east, to try and get away from people, but I do agree it would add scale. We were lucky that loads of nice big chunks appeared overnight. When we visited on our first evening in the area, to say we were disappointed is an understatement. The Lagoon itself was a bit of a jumble so we stuck to the beach for the 2 days we had. There were so many more visitors this time than when we were there 10 years ago (unfortunately that was before I had properly discovered photography).

I saw a seal battling against the current, trying to get back into the lagoon. Also a few tiny waders darting around the beach. No photos of either though!

I like all 3 and am going to go against the majority and pick no.1 for my favourite - i think it's the shape of the berg in that one for me.

I have still not finished editing my photos from my September trip so i can relate! I can also relate re: visiting 10 years ago - I did too, but we didn't even know it was there!! (which i find fairly shocking) we spent all our time at the lagoon but never knew about the beach - a waste of an opportunity or what! I was shooting then, but wow what a waste. I only had time for one visit to the area in September, always lacking in time :-(

No.1 is my favourite and a wonderful sky in No.2. It can be tough for a good composition with so much ice about and the other photographers everywhere crowding the beach, also agree the lagoon is muddled although a good walk about and I'm sure you may get a shot or two.

What a cracking set! Really Nice work i cant see much problem with the processing here apart from the aforementioned tweaking of the highlights on 2 but TBH that shouldn't take much to sort.
No3 is my pick too, but the other two are beautiful as well. I notice the shape of the Iceberg in No1 and thought its a pity it wasn't they other way around then it would mimic the shape of clouds above (just my drifting thoughts).
They are magical with the light on the sand and through the Ice, lovely tones and colours.
Well Shot(y)

That third imagine I really want to reach in and touch it, very tactile, and thats before you even get into the colours and light in the background. Great image and a great set.

Thank you for the continuing kind comments. It is interesting that No.3 is a popular choice as favourite - it was a bit of an afterthought as I wasn't keen on the way the top of the 'berg touches the horizon, but I really liked that particular piece of ice for the shape and the black stripes in it.

Really nice set of photos.

That ice is so clear..............Just need a bucket of gin to with it.:)

Great lighting, very moody and subtle

The third is the best, lovely to see other peoples interpretations of this place. Your shots have a dreamlike quality about them.

Back