Iceland - on film

• Thread starter Deleted member 21335
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 21335

Back in March I headed off to Iceland on the TP organised trip. I posted before hand asking which film should I take and there were some great suggestions. I was pretty inexperienced with film but I said before I went that I would shoot the trip exclusively on film unless the Aurora made an appearance and then I would only then use the DLSR to capture what could be a once in a lifetime thing, not being experienced with reciprocity failure etc.

I also thought about what and how I was going to shoot and considered buying new lenses etc, but then I decided to keep it simple. Two cameras, one lens for each. It would save any thought of 'which lens should I use for this?'. I caused me to think a bit more, move a bit more, take my time a bit more and attracted comments from other members of the trip of how brave or perhaps stupid I was. I packed the Hasselblad 500cm with 80mm F2.8, Leica m2 with 50mm F2.0 and my digital option was a Nikon Df with 35mm F1.4. I stuck to my guns and did not use the digital at all, until the lights came out to play on the penultimate night that is. So, here are a ew of my shots but the full set is over on my site should you care to take a look. Overall I am thrilled that I shot with film and the equipment I did. There was one lost roll from the Leica that hadn't caught on the spool so I was winding fresh air on. :(

I also stuck to the format that the camera produces so squares from the Hasselblad and rectangles from the Leica.

As it says on the blog post if you have a read, the Leica used Portra 400 and the Hasselblad was Ektar 100 or Velvia 50. Hope you enjoy looking at them. :)

The whole blog post can be seen HERE.

BEACH-14.jpg

road-7.jpg

Skogafoss-6.jpg

Ice-6.jpg

Wonderful compositions! I'm wondering whether toning down the sky slightly in the centre of shots 1 and 2 might work? My eye is immediately drawn to the extreme bright areas rather than the rest of the frame (which is otherwise beautiful).

I really love the last image. The only time I've ever seen that blue colour in ice was in the Ilulissat iceflord off Greenland's west coast, it's an astoundingly beautiful colour to see in real life and you've captured it superbly here. :)

To echo your words from the blog post, WOW! Great compositions, love how you've emphasised the big skies in so many of the scenic shots even when it was cloudy, something I'll have to try. This was a particular favourite, turn up the colour sliders a bit and there's your magazine or photobook cover image ;)

Thanks for sharing, great stuff.

Wonderful compositions! I'm wondering whether toning down the sky slightly in the centre of shots 1 and 2 might work? My eye is immediately drawn to the extreme bright areas rather than the rest of the frame (which is otherwise beautiful).

I really love the last image. The only time I've ever seen that blue colour in ice was in the Ilulissat iceflord off Greenland's west coast, it's an astoundingly beautiful colour to see in real life and you've captured it superbly here. :)

Thank you. To be honest, they have been up a while now so I am not going back to edit but I appreciate the comments. I generally like stuff a little brighter anyway so not too fussed in this instance. :)

Gareth, these are awesome! Iceland looks such a magical place. Im going in September :) Looking forward to it.

Ta very much. :)

2 & 3 are superb. Absolutely great work as always Gaz.

Thank you David.

To echo your words from the blog post, WOW! Great compositions, love how you've emphasised the big skies in so many of the scenic shots even when it was cloudy, something I'll have to try. This was a particular favourite, turn up the colour sliders a bit and there's your magazine or photobook cover image ;)

Thanks for sharing, great stuff.

Thank you. It's funny you should choose that one as it's a personal favourite. It went nuts on Instagram, I already have a print of it here at home and there's a chap in the US who also has a print of it. :)

Really lovely. Not sure why you picked these one but i followed your linked and there's tons of great picture there! Well done.
I had forgotten again but every time i see some square format i think that it is a great format....

I just popped over to the blog...

some lovely, LOVELY photos, a wonderful set - really enjoyed them.

The horses especially for me look particualry fluffy and lovely - more so than any other photos of icelandic horses ive seen (and i've seen lots, haha)

I'm going again at the end of august, and although im not going to shoot only in film, i'm taking my canon a1 with me (so not quite the gear you have). im going to spend more time on photography than other trips as ive always been disappointed with what ive got, so hoping having some film shots will give me a different side of things. Wont be going further than Vik though. Hoping to get back over to the glacial lagoon next year. Not decided if im going to take 28mm or 50mm yet, dont want to take both and get weighed down as i'll have 2 SLR lenses too.

i just love that place so much. I had a message from my cousin who's looking to go in December and was asking for advice - time for me to roll out my lengthy email of "oooooooohhh do this..... oooh and this" advice that i've sent to a few people now, ha.

I love the NL shots over Gulfoss - i've not seen that many shots at that location so it makes it all the more special

I looked at the blog post last night too, and I was blown away Gareth. I've seen so many photos of Iceland trips on this forum, but yours have a certain quality that a lot of others lack. I don't know what exactly, perhaps it's just that "film look" that I've fallen in love with over the last 18 months, but I feel that these photos connect with the viewer in a more powerful and artistic way than the soulless and clinical digital shots of the same place. Really impressed with them all.

By the way, how much film did you take!!? I think you shot more film in one trip than I've used all year :LOL:

Really lovely. Not sure why you picked these one but i followed your linked and there's tons of great picture there! Well done.
I had forgotten again but every time i see some square format i think that it is a great format....

To be honest I just picked a random few that caught my eye to hopefully encourage people to click on the link. They are much better viewed as a set I think. Thanks for taking a look and the nice words. It's hip to be square don't you know?

There're some lovely pictures Gaz, and also a great blog.

Thank you Paul. :)

The horses especially for me look particualry fluffy and lovely - more so than any other photos of icelandic horses ive seen (and i've seen lots, haha)

I'm going again at the end of august, and although im not going to shoot only in film, i'm taking my canon a1 with me (so not quite the gear you have). im going to spend more time on photography than other trips as ive always been disappointed with what ive got, so hoping having some film shots will give me a different side of things. Wont be going further than Vik though. Hoping to get back over to the glacial lagoon next year. Not decided if im going to take 28mm or 50mm yet, dont want to take both and get weighed down as i'll have 2 SLR lenses too.

i just love that place so much. I had a message from my cousin who's looking to go in December and was asking for advice - time for me to roll out my lengthy email of "oooooooohhh do this..... oooh and this" advice that i've sent to a few people now, ha.

I love the NL shots over Gulfoss - i've not seen that many shots at that location so it makes it all the more special

Thank you. :) It really is an amazing place. In fact, I have another couple of rolls away at the moment as I have just spent another 4 days there, but not a lot of time for personal stuff unfortunately. Shot about a roll in Reykjavik though and a roll at the Blue Lagoon. :)

I looked at the blog post last night too, and I was blown away Gareth. I've seen so many photos of Iceland trips on this forum, but yours have a certain quality that a lot of others lack. I don't know what exactly, perhaps it's just that "film look" that I've fallen in love with over the last 18 months, but I feel that these photos connect with the viewer in a more powerful and artistic way than the soulless and clinical digital shots of the same place. Really impressed with them all.

By the way, how much film did you take!!? I think you shot more film in one trip than I've used all year :LOL:

Thank you so much, Carl. I know what you mean about the look, or is it the 'feel' of film? I think that's what does it for me. I connect more whilst taking the photo I think as I only make one or two frames of the same scene instead of perhaps tens or hundreds. I meter, meter again, check composition and shoot so it really helps to actually see what you are shooting I think. I also tried not to go for the more obvious shots that everyone seems to go for a lot of the time, although no doubt there are a few unavoidable ones in there. :)

Oh, I took a LOT of film. Way more than I shot. In fact I am still getting through it all. This was the best from 22 rolls though. :)

Wonderful set of photos. Good blog too :)

Thank you, Shane.

Good to see the shots at last Gareth, I told you that you had nothing to worry about :D

P's. Excellent blog (y)

Reactions: Nod
Gareth, these are just stunning, indeed inspiring!

i need to get my self to Iceland .... :)

You definitely do. I am just back from another 4 days there, however it wasn;t a personal photo trip this time. The Summer brings a vastly different landscape, as do the other areas. I was in the West this time and Reykjavik. Have a couple of rolls being developed at the moment.

An excellent set of blog images, Gareth; a good example of how much can be done with a standard lens. The exposures on the images with snow are spot on too, which isn't easy.

Well done all round.

Thank you Kevin. Yes, just using one lens definitely gave me a freedom without worrying about choosing which to use.

looks a great place for images

It is. Not sure if that means that these are any good or not. :LOL:

The man himself Hasseling the horses!

View attachment 42706

Oh good grief!

And now I've read the blog so will comment more!

Like you say, Gareth, the weather didn't really cooperate for much of the time but we did get that one good sunset at Vik as well as the clear skies for the incredible aurora show! Unlike you, I did have a problem with the temperature - using a fisheye pointing straight up meant that the spray from Gullfoss was freezing as soon as it hit he front element, so I only managed about 20 minutes of shooting it before the blobs were too intrusive! The plus side of that was that I could then just keep the Mk1 eyeballs looking up and enjoy the show.
Like you, my other abiding memory of that night was the American girls shouting "Holy f*****g s***!", although I missed their late night topless hot tubbing...

Oh, and I'm looking forward to seeing the shots from your recent trip too - much enjoyed looking at the ones on your blog and have sent the link to Mrs Nod for her enjoyment too.

dirty!

horsey pics def on my wish list for my trip next month. need to make a little wish list. have over spent really so need to make it worth it!

Dan, it's possible to do it quite cheaply by avoiding restaurants and bars! Stoke up on breakfast and grab a snack at lunchtime. Be aware that towns with supermarkets can be a fair distance away from some places of interest. The café at the ice lagoon does a really good bottomless bowl of soup. A huge bonus is that all the attractions along the South coast seem to be free to see - and they're close to the ring road. Loads of spectacular waterfalls, glaciers, lagoons, beaches and all within 100m or less of a car park. Oh, and the horses seem to be friendly and there are plenty close to the road. As are the reindeer, especially just the far side of Hofn. A tip for the reindeer - stay in the car, they don't recognise cars as a threat but if you get out, they'll start moving away quite quickly. If you'll have a 4x4, it's worth finding the crashed Dakota. Search on Google maps for it and make sure that if you do go looking for it that you follow the right (marked by stakes) track down to it (first time we got down to it, we crossed a snow bridge over a stream but the bridge had vanished the next time we went and the stream was by then a river!)

Gareth, Mrs Nod says "Hi" and thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos.

hi Nod,

yeah I know the skinny on doing it cheaply (this will be my 5th visit :D), but ive signed on for some activities which are more than I normally spend, Bonus & Kronan are my friends and nearby where im staying. Im staying in Hafnarfjörður this time so its easier to get out on the road. Met some horses on a trip quite a few years back, but didn't get decent pics then. Saw reindeer then, was up north somewhere on the road, just a fleeting glimpse though.

Don't have a suitable car for the Dakota, hoping to do that next year when I go with my friend, we'll probably park at the path/road and walk anyway, not sure will be able to afford the 4x4 - want to start planning that trip now, but my friend isn't sure she can go yet :-/

just spent a bit more than I have on previous trips so need to make sure I make a little wish list so I don't miss anything and then kick myself later! :dummy1:

Last edited:
Some great shots, I think we went to the same places on our trip- only thing we couldn't find was ice on the beach like that.

Did you find any particular benefits of shooting film on the trip?

And now I've read the blog so will comment more!

Like you say, Gareth, the weather didn't really cooperate for much of the time but we did get that one good sunset at Vik as well as the clear skies for the incredible aurora show! Unlike you, I did have a problem with the temperature - using a fisheye pointing straight up meant that the spray from Gullfoss was freezing as soon as it hit he front element, so I only managed about 20 minutes of shooting it before the blobs were too intrusive! The plus side of that was that I could then just keep the Mk1 eyeballs looking up and enjoy the show.
Like you, my other abiding memory of that night was the American girls shouting "Holy f*****g s***!", although I missed their late night topless hot tubbing...

Thanks Nod. :)

Dan, it's possible to do it quite cheaply by avoiding restaurants and bars! Stoke up on breakfast and grab a snack at lunchtime. Be aware that towns with supermarkets can be a fair distance away from some places of interest. The café at the ice lagoon does a really good bottomless bowl of soup. A huge bonus is that all the attractions along the South coast seem to be free to see - and they're close to the ring road. Loads of spectacular waterfalls, glaciers, lagoons, beaches and all within 100m or less of a car park. Oh, and the horses seem to be friendly and there are plenty close to the road. As are the reindeer, especially just the far side of Hofn. A tip for the reindeer - stay in the car, they don't recognise cars as a threat but if you get out, they'll start moving away quite quickly. If you'll have a 4x4, it's worth finding the crashed Dakota. Search on Google maps for it and make sure that if you do go looking for it that you follow the right (marked by stakes) track down to it (first time we got down to it, we crossed a snow bridge over a stream but the bridge had vanished the next time we went and the stream was by then a river!)

Gareth, Mrs Nod says "Hi" and thanks for sharing your thoughts and photos.

Hello Mrs Nod! :)

Some great shots, I think we went to the same places on our trip- only thing we couldn't find was ice on the beach like that.

Did you find any particular benefits of shooting film on the trip?

Thanks. :)

Benefits of shooting film? Well I shoot film for 99.9% of anything that's not wedding related now, so all my personal photography is on film. Firstly, the reason that is probably most commonly recited on the net. It slows me down. A lot of times I will compose the shot and think about it then decide not to take it. Then there are the cameras themselves. So much more satisfying using the Hasselblad and Leica than most things digital I've tried with the odd exception. The colours, the dynamic range, the less time spend in front of the computer afterwards. I could go on but I honestly can't see me going back to digital for anything that's not a wedding in the near future. I am even going to try and introduce some film into that workflow. It's just beautiful.

The colours, the dynamic range, the less time spend in front of the computer afterwards
Totally agree with you apart on that last point to spend less time on the computer. Do you get your picture scanned? I scanned most of mine and my god if i have more that one roll to scan at a time i get depressed...

Totally agree with you apart on that last point to spend less time on the computer. Do you get your picture scanned? I scanned most of mine and my god if i have more that one roll to scan at a time i get depressed...

Yeah I use a lab to develop, scan and now they have tweaked the scan with some input so they edit to a custom profile. It's very good.

I could stare at these shots for hours. Such a photogenic location captured perfectly. Have to say the second image is my favourite but love them all.

I'll go for 28mm great for landscape and portrait with some background too.
But if you want to travel light just ditch the dslr ;-) and how big is the 50. I don't know the a1 but on my olympus om1 both 28 and 50 are tiny lenses compare to any dslr equivalent!

I could stare at these shots for hours. Such a photogenic location captured perfectly. Have to say the second image is my favourite but love them all.

Thank you for the nice words. :)

Hi Gareth - I've just been looking through your blog post for about the twentieth time :)

We're off to Iceland next month and I'll be packing the Pentax 67 + a couple of lenses. This may sound crazy, but as I'm already carrying that beast I'm seriously debating whether or not to take along a tripod (I currently don't even own one). How did you get on out there? Did you use a tripod for any or all of these? Any recommendations?

BTW, I'm happy hand-holding down to 1/30th with the waist level finder fitted.

Any tips gratefully received!

Hi Gareth - I've just been looking through your blog post for about the twentieth time :)

We're off to Iceland next month and I'll be packing the Pentax 67 + a couple of lenses. This may sound crazy, but as I'm already carrying that beast I'm seriously debating whether or not to take along a tripod (I currently don't even own one). How did you get on out there? Did you use a tripod for any or all of these? Any recommendations?

BTW, I'm happy hand-holding down to 1/30th with the waist level finder fitted.

Any tips gratefully received!

Hey there.

I'd love a 67!! I did take a tripod and I did use it occasionally but the majority of the photos on the blog would have been handheld.

Literally everyone else with us had and used tripods a lot though so if you can manage one, it's worth having it in your car at least I would say.

Of course it all depends on the weather when you're there and what speed film you're using. I was mostly on Ektar 100 with a little Portra 400 in the M2.

Hi Gareth - thanks for the info. I'm leaning towards either going completely handheld or taking a monopod as a weight/cost compromise.

I thought the 67 would be a good choice for Iceland as it's rugged and the controls are easy to operate with gloves on. And obviously the quality is top notch. The last time I was there I took a first generation digital camera (some kind of Minolta with an external battery that lasted about five minutes!) and the photos I have are a bit low quality to say the least.

I'll be taking Ektar and Delta 100.

One other question: did you miss having a wide angle lens? I'm not much of a wide angle user, but the 55mm I have for the 67 is exceptional. Another lens to mess with and carry!

Back