Undecided Ideas between Newbury and Bath for tomorrow

Name
David
Edit My Images
Yes
Today I'm near Newbury (staying here tonight) and on Sunday I'm going to Fotofest in Bath (staying in Bath Saturday night), so I have tomorrow Saturday to myself for a 'photography day'. I've been away all week, working on site, but I have my trusty Fuji X100F plus converters in the car, along with a lightweight tripod.

So suggestions please, interests include landscape, military (WWII and Cold War), interesting architecture, and a bit of street.

(BTW I'm on a secure site most of today with no outside world access, so please don't be offended if I don't contribute to this thread until tonight!!)

A few around Avebury

Avebury - about 20-30 miles west of Newbury
West Kennet Long Barrow, - about a mile south of Avebury
Cherhill White Horse - about 3 - 4 miles west of Avebury,
Barbury Castle - about 20 miles NE of Avebury.

Dave

Caen Hill locks on the Kennet and Avon canal are worth look.

Been there before!!

A few around Avebury

Avebury - about 20-30 miles west of Newbury
West Kennet Long Barrow, - about a mile south of Avebury
Cherhill White Horse - about 3 - 4 miles west of Avebury,
Barbury Castle - about 20 miles NE of Avebury.

Dave

And all of these except Barbury Castle, I suppose its a penalty/bonus of working away from home a lot!!!

All good suggestions though. Thanks

Greenham Common control tower is open as a museum, not sure what else remains there.
Upper Heyford is also deserted and might be worth investigating.

Not relevant to you there, but in East Anglia Orford Ness is a site of Cold War interest.
Nearby is RAF Bentwaters command centre museum (very interesting) and the Radar museum at Bawdsey

Last edited:
Greenham Common control tower is open as a museum, not sure what else remains there.
Upper Heyford is also deserted and might be worth investigating.

Rich, went to Greenham Common the other night, even posted an image of control tower in the Fuji X thread!!, I'm trying to avoid doing too much driving so Upper Heyford is a bit far north this time, want to travel in a vaguely straight line between Newbury and Bath!!!

There is very very little at Greenham Common, the control tower and a very short section of runway, even the fence is hard to find, just found one original concrete fence post!! The Control Tower is now a cafe with some history displays.

Thanks David, like a bit of cold war action myself.
Might not bother now with Greenham Common, fair old drive for not that much then
Did you see my addition to the reply, might be of interest for another time.
Another point of interest is the Regional Command centre at Kelvedon Hatch.
Bentwaters was my favourite though, US airman who was stationed there explained all about it

If you can go a little further up, Berkeley Castley is pretty cool. It`s been in the same family longer than America has been, America (which winds up my US family no end) ;)
https://www.berkeley-castle.com/

Back