Identification?

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
Yes
Something has been at my bird food in the shed. I've caught mice in the past but this culprit is bigger. Rat or squirrel is my guess (hope it's squirrel). Any ideas?

Attachments

• chewing.jpg
    chewing.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 59
  • dropings.jpg
    dropings.jpg
    221.7 KB · Views: 59
Squirrel

Can whatever it is get into your shed easily, ie without having to gnaw its way in?

If so, then it could be either.

The droppings look a bit more like squirrel than rat but if there is no easy access to the shed I'd be surprised if it is squirrel and would lean towards rat. We have squirrels in the garden everyday and also have sheds but none have been gnawed into.

However, both are easily capable of doing that sort of damage to plastic storage boxes.

Dave

Rat droppings are about half inch long ( 12-15 mm or so) Squirrel dropping are slightly more than half that, ( 7-10 mm-ish ) mouse droppings look like a black / brown grain of rice.
Its likely due to the shape that its a squirrel, rat droppings are more uniform in shape. Rather like a large grain of rice.

Last edited:
Greater bald-tailed squirrel if I know my rodents!

Keep the trailcam there as you may have both!

What a trail of destruction. It/they have eaten through almost every plastic bottle in the shed, including weed killer, slug pellets, fertilizer, the lot.

Unless you can secure the contents of the shed so there is nothing to get at I think a trap might be a good idea. Do you know where it is coming from? Might be living under your shed.

Dave

Back