If only......

Name
Stu
Edit My Images
Yes
Hmm if only,

it's not if only baby had stuck it's head up..... sure if only:D

it's if only I knew it was in frame:banghead:, that's so hard to admit but it's true.:(

There's a simplicity to the fact of " so stu ,when ya going to get a chance to nab this one again oh yeah mate when you actually see the baby huh?"............... It's almost brutal

I've seen 4 tiny munty things in my life. If you haven't been so lucky they are OMG:love: tiny ................ say about the size of a short legged jack russel terrier, it is almost jarring how small they are.

I think the base plant is ground elder? please correct if I'm wrong. It's say 3,to 4 inches of growth right now 75 100mm ISH I'd reckon little one stands around 8 inch /20cms top of the back ?

Guys not from webland my guesstimates from t' field

DXii 400DO ii 2X iii 800mm 1/160 f8 iso 5000 cropped from 2,3 to 4.5 nowt on width processed in Dpp and pscc

Ha this little fella will haunt me a while.....I can't see the wood for the ****ing trees :LOL:

_S2I8628 if only smj Tdn by Stuart Philpott, on Flickr

take care

stu

I feel your pain Stu , I so seldom see Muntjac fawns too . Lovely pic of Mum though . Don`t beat ya self up , it happens to nearly all of us ......more often than we would like .

Not a lot wrong with that Stu, lovely capture

Les :)

David thank you

Hey Mark hope you are good buddy?

It's the nature of the game I guess getting a sniff of a rare chance and nailing it as an image maker. It's tough I'd guess it happens to all of us mate,ok bar the guy that never did nothin' he's the only guy I know that never made a mistake:LOL:

I do see the funny in this Mark I actually thought I'd done ok until I saw baby leaving with mum , I do quite like my effort .............. I feel I did ok as a tog but as the guy that wonders up to deer the animal nutter OMG where the hell was he?:ROFLMAO:

I don't use the 2xiii ext that much ,but because I have no access and can't use the "sneaky skills" ;) I'd decided to have a crack with it. for these over a wall images I'm really happy with the IQ here Mark especially at this SS, I don't oft say that . I'm still not getting out properly Mark ,but I've tagged a few deer over easter,it's been so nice to get back at it even though this drive by over a wall type of image making isn't really my thing. Confidence building I suppose,

Thanks Les she's lovely the light is too I honestly believe the IQ is there ( for once) but a a baby's face would have made it into something less ordinary. Less ordinary is what I quest for Les that doesn't mean I achieve it but it was here for the taking!!

Les Mark, Mark Les:) ( you both know a bit about deer I've a question for you both)............................... can either of you educate me on how long a young roe buck might stay with mum ? If she doesn't kid the following year does the youngster stay with her for longer?

cheers on the likes and especially the replies

stu

David thank you

Hey Mark hope you are good buddy?

It's the nature of the game I guess getting a sniff of a rare chance and nailing it as an image maker. It's tough I'd guess it happens to all of us mate,ok bar the guy that never did nothin' he's the only guy I know that never made a mistake:LOL:

I do see the funny in this Mark I actually thought I'd done ok until I saw baby leaving with mum , I do quite like my effort .............. I feel I did ok as a tog but as the guy that wonders up to deer the animal nutter OMG where the hell was he?:ROFLMAO:

I don't use the 2xiii ext that much ,but because I have no access and can't use the "sneaky skills" ;) I'd decided to have a crack with it. for these over a wall images I'm really happy with the IQ here Mark especially at this SS, I don't oft say that . I'm still not getting out properly Mark ,but I've tagged a few deer over easter,it's been so nice to get back at it even though this drive by over a wall type of image making isn't really my thing. Confidence building I suppose,

Thanks Les she's lovely the light is too I honestly believe the IQ is there ( for once) but a a baby's face would have made it into something less ordinary. Less ordinary is what I quest for Les that doesn't mean I achieve it but it was here for the taking!!

Les Mark, Mark Les:) ( you both know a bit about deer I've a question for you both)............................... can either of you educate me on how long a young roe buck might stay with mum ? If she doesn't kid the following year does the youngster stay with her for longer?

cheers on the likes and especially the replies

stu

Happy to answer that Stu- it is my understanding that the young will stay with their mother for about 12 months. After this time, their father again becomes territorial and will drive out any young bucks from his territory and I personally have seen this on more than one occasion mate- for the female Roe they wander off to find territoty of their own within 12 months from birth

Les thanks (y) that's sort of exactly what I thought...hmmm ...can you tell me if first year bucks with their first antlers, have one or two spikes per horn please? Buddy forgive all the Q's I'm trying to understand what I've seen recently, :)
cheers for the help !!

Martin cheers buddy , hey ho mate I watched a doe munty nursing her youngster and I hadn't a clue, not everyone can say that:LOL:

Les thanks (y) that's sort of exactly what I thought...hmmm ...can you tell me if first year bucks with their first antlers, have one or two spikes per horn please? Buddy forgive all the Q's I'm trying to understand what I've seen recently, :)
cheers for the help !!

Martin cheers buddy , hey ho mate I watched a doe munty nursing her youngster and I hadn't a clue, not everyone can say that:LOL:

On a Roe Deer usually 2 stumps appear and develope into antlers mate usually March- April time

On a Roe Deer usually 2 stumps appear and develope into antlers mate usually March- April time

Les cheers again but sadly that doesn't really help.. Buddy I always thought a first year buck only have one point on each antler, then second year that becomes two points per antler?? Then as they age the antlers continue to develop

Les cheers for the help mate it is appreciated ,...... let me try and explain why i'm asking:

.I caught up with what I believe was mum and son recently, I have images you have seen mum already....i'm just so slow with post and so busy I haven't had time to share the young lad yet . He had a total of 4 spikes Les, (ok will have he was still in velvet) which is what I'm confused about. because I thought that made him a second year buck?

cheers again (y)

Les I #ll try and find some time to finish editing him and get a snap of him on here over the weekend, you seeing him might make life a lot easier :D

Ha, he was a funny little chap Thanks for the help , I make so many images of this species Les , they really fascinate me Little guy has been bugging me ever since I caught up with him:LOL: ..

Really nice Stu, not a Deer I've ever seen let alone photographed. First saw this on Flickr and didn't notice the little 'un til I spotted your post on here so I can see why you missed it!

Ahh that's funny Si I knew you had seen the flickr post cheers for looking. thank you :D Ha I've kicked myself up hill and down dale on this mate :LOL: . I even have a half decent excuse which I can't bare to use ( sometimes we just need to own stuff)................. that being the idiot in a car at my back at shutter press driving so fast on a tiny lane he wouldn't have seen me if dressed in day glo orange ,no chance in camo,:banghead:

I'd uncerimoniously dumped me darlin in the hedge while flipping camera in left hand with my right arm. Then just held it together enough to not botch what was there. in front of me. The things one does for a picture mate. A tiny bit hairy this image,but I should have clocked baby ,no way to dress it up !!

Munty are tough little cookies for me Si, they have sharp sharp eyes, up close............

I suspect with time, they will be everywhere in the uk maybe bar the far north? I can run a pretty much continuous pop for a 20 mile circle locally Strange little folks,they breed all year round in the uk originally from elsewhere, I know not how they compete with my adorable roe. Know nowt of their rut

As an image maker whom likes to play "making images with mammals", ( strange really i'm a bird nut:ROFLMAO:) they are a welcome local addition. As me that worries on what should be here and what we have lost I worry on the impact muntjac have on our ecosystem. But we won't change what is done Si no more than replace grey with red squirrels. So I sort of embrace them. I hope you catch up with one.

Quiet little folks mate............. sharp as a razor........ a beer barrel on short legs :love:

Back