If you drink and/or smoke and go to Europe - You will like this

I wonder what tax on alcohol we'll be paying at home when the government needs to raise a few quid after the transition to no deal Brexit?

Hopefully tobacco will be as expensive as possible.

I travelled to the US 3 times last year and don't recall much in duty free being cheaper, but I don't smoke and don't drink the sort of drinks you get in Duty Free.

That's quite an amount of booze - a group of savvy car boot salesmen could take advantage, 4-5 of them bringing the max amount back from a short trip each would see a nice profit - especially if they fly Ryanair = though I'm sure they'll put clampers on the amount of DF you can take on

used to pickup a bottle of gin when on way to crete house last year
sometimes a deal on gin from leeds bradford

That's quite an amount of booze - a group of savvy car boot salesmen could take advantage, 4-5 of them bringing the max amount back from a short trip each would see a nice profit - especially if they fly Ryanair = though I'm sure they'll put clampers on the amount of DF you can take on
not sure how that’s different ( or any more Legal ) then what happens now

Last edited:
These new Duty FREE regulations obviously apply to International Airports, Non Domestic Air Travel, Cruise Ships outside territorial waters, Intercontinental Ferry Terminals, Cross Channel Ferries and Eurotunnel.

What it does not mention is what you will be able to purchase (Duty PAID) in a Continental Supermarket which at the moment for booze is whatever will fit in your car.

Last edited:
I used to regularly do a duty free run over to Southern Ireland from Holyhead ,as a foot passenger you get a Day out ,there and back for £6 ( 1980’s prices) plus a bit of profit or cheap smokes/drink for yourself as required .it was good fun till they stopped it
L

I always found the best prices for alcohol to be in the supermarkets etc of the countries I was visiting....
I often found you could easily buy booze for less than 75% of the 'duty free' price by simply visiting a French hypermarket.
There may be no duty payable but the profit margin has been pushed up to compensate.

I only visited duty free shops on the ferries out of boredom.

As @Paul W. H points out the cheap stuff will now start to be restricted.

Last edited:
I often found you could easily buy booze for less than 75% of the 'duty free' price by simply visiting a French hypermarket.
There may be no duty payable but the profit margin has been pushed up to compensate.

I only visited duty free shops on the ferries out of boredom.

As @Paul W. H points out the cheap stuff will now start to be restricted.

Totally agree the ferries were a rip off. This allowance is far less than we could bring back though. We used to go on our main holiday in September and I used to bring back around ten cases of wine which used to last me a very long time. Auchan, Carrefour and Lidl used to be my favourite haunts. The quality of meats, cheese and bread was far superior to the UK.

mate of mine used to drive his estate car over to france for a weekend and cruise around various supermarkets and places and bring back his car full of wine boxes of all sorts of garbage used to be about 3 euros for 5 litres, the stuff was awfull, he gave my wife one which we had one tast of and poured down the sink, he was a raving alcaholic mind.

I'm another that stocks up at Carrefour, once on our way out, first stop out of Dunkerque to take some Cremant to family/friends and again on the way back to pick some French beer/cider/cheese/pate/fruit. Sometimes we could pick up some Scottish malts for €25.... I eat and sleep on the boat.

I'm another that stocks up at Carrefour, once on our way out, first stop out of Dunkerque to take some Cremant to family/friends and again on the way back to pick some French beer/cider/cheese/pate/fruit. Sometimes we could pick up some Scottish malts for €25.... I eat and sleep on the boat.

We had a three stop, two week tour in France in 2018 - Nuits St Georges (Burgundy), Markelsheim (Alsace) and Bouzy (Champagne). We were picking up 1er Cru burgundy from local supermarkets at less than E10 and Cremant de Bourgogne for around E5.

What it does not mention is what you will be able to purchase (Duty PAID) in a Continental Supermarket which at the moment for booze is whatever will fit in your car.

That's the only thing that matters. Although I'm not big on drinking so won't affect me much in any significant way.

Don't be surprised to see these rules scrapped and replaced on a short notice following some sort of a deal which I suspect will be announced just in time for Christmas.

Hopefully tobacco will be as expensive as possible.

That's probably the only thing I fully agree with you on. Absolutely disgusting stuff.

Back