"Iffy" photo...

Edit My Images
No
Hey all... need some input here... As many of you know, I've been practicing shooting people on my family... mostly the kids, and this photo is no exception. My question is this. And please don't think it's a weird one...

How does this photo make you feel, if it makes you feel anything at all?

Thanks,
Eric

Gavin01.jpg

Eric,

I like the photo a lot, It's a great moment in every child, throwing stones to make them jump in the water it's fun. The first thing I will do, it's to crop a little bit, from the top and from the right of the picture, I think the sand in the other side of the water (top) its distracting from the main subject. Do you have the original one in color? Well, if you like it B&W, may be you should try a some levels on it, so you can darken some places and brighten another ones, with this your pitcture will not be so flat. Give it a try, if you want I can post here what I will do to it.

This is just my point of view. I like your pic, I think you can improve it a little bit.

Cheers

^^what he said^^

not a bad shot though, very nice....whole lot of border going on again!

I really like the shot a lot, but I'm not sure how it makes me 'feel'.

You're not doing your photographs any favours with these frames though. A frame or border should enhance the photograph not compete with it, let the image speak for itself.

wow what a border, doesn't help the finished image one bit, you've obviously got the hang of how to create them now you just need to control yourself a little. Hold back on them and keep it simple. Borders shouldn't try to compete with the image they should be used to hold your eye on the image.
My thoughts mirror that of ppuga's, B+W images should have exactly that in them, at least some Black and some White, in your image it is nearly all different shades of grey and this results in the image looking flat as said before. Fiddle with the levels a bit (what software do you use?).

="EosD"....whole lot of border going on again!

:LOL:

That's a very nice shot Eric. It succeeds on a few levels. You've caught the high point of the action and you can almost feel how the boy is wound like a spring ready to release that stone. The fact that the camera angle shows where he's aiming at also involves the viewer. There's a powerful feeling of movement and energy in the shot and being on a 3rds intersection gives the picture a nicely balanced look. The Rule Of Thirds isn't something to be slavishly followed but I think it has a lot to do with the overall feel of the picture in this instance. For that reason I'm not too sure I'd want to crop it, but try it and see how you feel about it.

I agree that the shot could be made a little punchier, and there's WAY too much frame there. :shock:

:LOL:

Just ignore the frames, all... LOL... I'm still just messin with 'em... but I did alter the original to make it more suitable.

And thanks for the words & advice...

Eric

that version is excellent, well done!

lolyton: Believe it or not, I just use MS Picture it! ver9. I have Adobe Photoshop CS, but its WAY intimidating as I just got it 2 weeks ago... Doesn't seem very user friendly for a novice like me. I'll get around to hitting it one of these days, once I get the urge to do so.
[smilie=g:
Eric

Big improvement :)

The more I look at this picture, the more I like it. If you follow the lad's line of sight - which you do instinctively, it leads straight to another 3rds intersection, which is a great example of a 3rd working for you even though there's nothing there.

With a couple of pointers in photoshop cs it shouldn't take too long to get the basics, but once you have them and start fiddling around a little you'll see it's a super powerful addition to your photography kit and well worth the effort you spent learning it. The better the image you start with the easier it is to use.

To quickly do an auto levels (try it it'll take 2 secs) open image in cs and click 'Image', then go down to 'Adjustments' the select 'Auto Levels' you'll spot the difference straight away, (in the same drop down window it may be worth selecting levels and having a quick play whilst you are at it ,levels is a handy and well used part of cs).

Quick way to auto levels is Apple+shift+L on mac, I think on PC its Ctrl+Shift+L but don't quote me.

Give the first one a go will take seconds!

One little point, because auto levels makes sure there is always proper black and proper white within the image you will either need to auto levels the original image or crop the frame off. The frame is absolute black and absolute white and will trick auto levels into thinking the image has already been done. so if you use the framed image auto levels will do nothing. Hope this makes sense!

It makes perfect sense & thanks for that... I'll give it a go after lunch & see what I come up with.

Thanks,
Eric

"Innocence"
That's what I feel when I look at it. The innocence of childhood.
Great photograph, Eric. :)

I also agree with CT about the "rule of thirds". It works here, and I personally wouldn't crop it at all.

Back