I'm stuck in the city during a brutal Canadian winter and loving it

Name
Phil Marion
Edit My Images
No
It's been mind numbing cold here in Toronto, Canada for the last couple weeks, as it has elsewhere. Truth be told I absolutely LOVE when it gets incredibly cold because of the image opportunities it creates. Though I live in a metropolis of 6+ million people, I live walking distance from the shores of one of the Great Lakes which is wondrously transformed when it gets ravaged by Ole Man Winter. Here is a sample of a few of the images I've taken while wearing 2 pairs of sock, long johns and two winter coats.
And here is a link to a gallery of more: https://www.flickr.com/search/?sort...19polarvortex&user_id=12624630@N02&view_all=1

Stay warm my friends. Pray for more chilling temperatures and embrace winter!

Icy lily paddies forming in Lake Ontario under the polar vortex - Kew Beach, Toronto by Phil Marion, on Flickr
Centre Island pier and the polar vortex by Phil Marion, on Flickr
Frozen in time - Lake Ontario [1 minute long exposure] by Phil Marion, on Flickr
Natural ice sculptures - Ashbriges Bay by Phil Marion, on Flickr
Patterns of Kew Beach by Phil Marion, on Flickr
Dusk at Balmy Beach - Toronto by Phil Marion, on Flickr
Fun at the beach...in February - Woodbine, Kew and Balmy Beaches in Toronto by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Wow - love these and agree with Chris above that no3 is just fab (y)

All very nice 3 is great but so is 5

Yup, agree with others, No. 3 is a cracker, hope you have plenty of batteries for the camera keeping warm in your pockets :) that cold weather will drain them faster the Usain Bolt ;)

Every one a memorable shot here Phil, and I'm looking forward to more of these as well. (y)

lovely shots
wish we got weather like that to get images like that

Daughter is currently on her way back from Banff where she was out and about in -37 degrees!!! :eek::eek: Judging by the phone snaps she put up on Instagram her real shots should be great.

Great set, liked them all

All great, but no 2 is my favourite.
Wouldn't be any long exposures from me in that frigid weather

I have been in temperatures down to -12c and it was hard going, but can't imagine how the sort of cold you are depicting must feel.
Stay warm and safe Phil

A great set but I am with the majority number 3 is stunning.
Enjoy the life in the Freezer ;)
A flask of coffee and good boots is the way forward.
Keep up the great images
GG (y)(y)(y)

Great shots, lovely city and you have the added bonus that one day you may just bump in to Geddy Lee or Alex Lifeson !!

Personally speaking, I have loved all your images Phil, best set I have seen this year...Unusual weather and you certainly have exploited that with some lovely images.

The 3rd pic and the one titled 'Lake Ontario looking like a frozen Dante's inferno' are both superb

Great shots, lovely city and you have the added bonus that one day you may just bump in to Geddy Lee or Alex Lifeson !!
I have bumped in to Geddy Lee before (at a health food store), He is easy to recognise. I may have bumped in to Alex Lifeson but TBH he is indistinguishable from most middle aged men here (myself included) so I would have not noticed him.

Love these. Love the shapes around the pier legs in No2 but as others have said No 3 is brilliant. If you can bear the cold you have some great opportunities. I bet its pretty quiet out and about!

We went to Tromso in Norway for a few days last year. It was around -12c with some great scenery and northern lights regularly showing. You felt ok in many layers until you get too excited taking photos and using a camera with gloves off and realise your hands are on the verge of frostbite. Be careful when working the camera!

A very nice set of images, but that 3rd one, it's for the wall. (y)

Really enjoyed the photos, thanks for sharing.

Sadly the brutal cold has departed and the ice has melted revealing the boring drab landscape - here's a few more taken before the Big Melt

Sunrise over Lake Ontario and icecapped rocks - Kew Beach, Toronto by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Shore of Ashbridges Bay by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Centre Island pier and the polar vortex by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Icy Ashbridges Bay and Toronto skyline after dusk by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Remnants of a melting ice cap on Balmy Beach - Toronto by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Frozen Lake Ontario sea spray - Ashbridges Bay, Toronto by Phil Marion, on Flickr

Back