iMac question - upgrade RAM or buy new ?

The Samsung T5 portable SSD is very small and should be easy to hide at the top of the stand at the rear. When it’s placed at the back it won’t even be noticeable. One thing that’s its highlighted is my next iMac will definitely need to have a SSD.

well, yes, but also since you're working off an external drive- I like to think of that as my main drive, so like if I have a mac mini in the bedroom and an imac in the office, i can just transfer my entire working OS between machines

Can't you change your internal hard drive for an SSD? I managed it a few weeks ago and I'm a doofus with computers. Swapped my 1TB hard drive for a 500gb SSD and it cost me £77 for all the bits. There are loads of tutorials on YouTube and other websites, and it's pretty straight forward. My 2010 iMac is a lot quicker now, especially when it wakes from sleep.

Can't you change your internal hard drive for an SSD? I managed it a few weeks ago and I'm a doofus with computers. Swapped my 1TB hard drive for a 500gb SSD and it cost me £77 for all the bits. There are loads of tutorials on YouTube and other websites, and it's pretty straight forward. My 2010 iMac is a lot quicker now, especially when it wakes from sleep.
The 2012 iMac as per the op is a different case to your 2010 (I think), and is nowhere near as easy to split. Instead of the screen and body being held together by magnets, it's glued together. Unless I have my model year dates wrong.

The 2012 iMac as per the op is a different case to your 2010 (I think), and is nowhere near as easy to split. Instead of the screen and body being held together by magnets, it's glued together. Unless I have my model year dates wrong.

Ah ok, in that case it's a lot more effort! I was amazed at how easy it was to get the front screen of mine off with a suction cup from an old sat nav!

Ah ok, in that case it's a lot more effort! I was amazed at how easy it was to get the front screen of mine off with a suction cup from an old sat nav!
It’s definitely harder than the magnets on the models a few years before 2012. On the 2012 onwards models you need to prise the screen away from the body and run something between the two to break the adhesive seal to remove the screen. Not exactly for the faint hearted! The video from 1:30 onwards shows how to do it.

View: https://youtu.be/AHVOCoi6Q6E

LR just doesn’t play nice with Fuji raw files, d800 files are faster to work with ime.

I used Fuji from 2014 to early this year.

I used pretty much all the Fujis since launch alongside other cameras, stopped buying after XT1. Im not the only one that experienced this, just have to google, in comparison to Bayer, slow.

Last edited:
Back