Image cropping

Edit My Images
No
Good evening,

Quick question with regard to cropping an image... my workflow consists of Photo Mechanic and then to Adobe Camera Raw for adjustments and cropping then save as jpg. Currently i crop using a ratio of 5 to 7 then save with longest edge of 2500 pixels longest edge to send out on spec.

Is there an "industry standard" or "best" crop ratio to use or is it more, crop any ratio that suits the photo?

cheers in advance

J

That depends completely on what the intended end use for the image is.

Primarily to the football club i shoot for (web / social media & print) and also out on spec to papers

I'd be wary of always sticking to the same ratio, as this would mean often the crop isn't clean - random body parts of players left in, or hi-viz in the background still visible.

A slightly off 'photo print ratio' crop can dramatically clean up a photo, but I would try my hardest to avoid a square crop.

That's just my 2 cents on crop ratios.

I'd be wary of always sticking to the same ratio, as this would mean often the crop isn't clean - random body parts of players left in, or hi-viz in the background still visible.

A slightly off 'photo print ratio' crop can dramatically clean up a photo, but I would try my hardest to avoid a square crop.

That's just my 2 cents on crop ratios.

Cheers for your advice... i totally get what you mean ... i was trying to find best crop last weekend but had a stray boot making it tricky!

Cheers for your advice... i totally get what you mean ... i was trying to find best crop last weekend but had a stray boot making it tricky!

Could you not clone it out if it was a small stray boot at the edge of the photo?

Surely if no one has complained so far then you`re OK.

he is sending to newspapers.. If they dont like then they wont use.. they certainly wont take the time to get in touch with him and correct his work. :)

Could you not clone it out if it was a small stray boot at the edge of the photo?

for newspapers? NO! :) For anyhting else.. yes ...

Good evening,

Quick question with regard to cropping an image... my workflow consists of Photo Mechanic and then to Adobe Camera Raw for adjustments and cropping then save as jpg. Currently i crop using a ratio of 5 to 7 then save with longest edge of 2500 pixels longest edge to send out on spec.

Is there an "industry standard" or "best" crop ratio to use or is it more, crop any ratio that suits the photo?

cheers in advance

J

Wow you must be doing some major adjustments if you need RAW ? :)

Just crop loosly for newspapers so they have enough room to fit in whatever space they have.. try to send portrait and landsacape if simmilar pics..... 2500px and about 1mb (jpg 10) is standard... smaller if needed but not usually any reason to go bigger

Back