Image edit needed please

Was going to have a go but says this on Flickr Nick

The owner has disabled downloading of their photos

Which I guess is a good thing really

Hmm, i will have a trawl through my Flickr settings and see if i can allow it for a short while. I can always switch it off again after.

Await and update!

Nice, thanks.
Ive now made the image downloadable. Was going to post an update but you had already managed it. !

Hi all,

Took a quick snap of two mates on holiday and before I do anything in post, can someone remove the annoying straw for me?

Hopefully it can be downloaded from my flickr...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/157797441@N07/46994915595/in/album-72157708573262555/

Much appreciated!
Hi Nick,
If you have any aspirations towards being a photographer, then the ability to edit an image is one of the fundamental things you need to learn.
I don't know what software you have available, but removing extraneous objects from photos is one of the most basic requirements.
The example you have is one of the simplest and most basic removal jobs there can be, and most software has either (or both) a "Delete" or "Clone" function available, either of which would be suitable.
This would be an ideal time to start learning the basics of photo manipulation, so I would urge you to give it a try.

Hi Nick,
If you have any aspirations towards being a photographer, then the ability to edit an image is one of the fundamental things you need to learn.
I don't know what software you have available, but removing extraneous objects from photos is one of the most basic requirements.
The example you have is one of the simplest and most basic removal jobs there can be, and most software has either (or both) a "Delete" or "Clone" function available, either of which would be suitable.
This would be an ideal time to start learning the basics of photo manipulation, so I would urge you to give it a try.
Personally I wouldn’t say removing objects from a photo via manipulation is a skill photographers definitely need. There are many genres where removing objects is very much frown upon and image manipulation is against the rules of many photography completions. I’ve been photographing wildlife and landscapes for 7-8 years and I don’t know how to do a good job of removing items such as poles or straws etc from an image. Personally I now try to scan the frame before taking an image to stop the need for PP manipulation later. It doesn’t take long to think about it before taking the image. In the case of the OP I can see the benefit of image manipulation but feel it shouldn’t be relied on instead of initially trying to get it right in camera.

Whatever you do in editing the composition will still be flawed. At the time of shooting you need to move your friends to a spot with a better backdrop or if you can't, get down low so you can't see the people behind and make sure there aren't objects poking out of their heads. Learning to edit is essential but more important is getting the basics right in camera

Personally I wouldn’t say removing objects from a photo via manipulation is a skill photographers definitely need. There are many genres where removing objects is very much frown upon and image manipulation is against the rules of many photography completions. I’ve been photographing wildlife and landscapes for 7-8 years and I don’t know how to do a good job of removing items such as poles or straws etc from an image. Personally I now try to scan the frame before taking an image to stop the need for PP manipulation later. It doesn’t take long to think about it before taking the image. In the case of the OP I can see the benefit of image manipulation but feel it shouldn’t be relied on instead of initially trying to get it right in camera.
When I first joined a photo club and started entering comps, one of the things I was curious about was how much manipulation and editing are you expected to do?
It seems the answer is "quite a lot." and I recall occasions where judges have said "you should have cloned this out" or "you should have moved this from here to there" so it seems we are coming from completely different areas. I know that with some wildlife images editing is frowned upon, but I've seen lots that have obviously been cropped and had backgrounds replaced. Not every one has the skill (or opportunity) to compose a perfect shot in camera and sometimes it's not possible to remove those poles and straws from a shot. I can't think of many of my own images that haven't at the very least been cropped. If you shoot raw (who doesn't?) you are faced with decisions on white balance, exposure and contrast as soon as you enter the develop module, so does that not constitute editing?
In the case of the OP's example, a small amount of editing can improve a grab shot considerably. If the photographer had tried to rearrange the sitters, change the viewpoint and generally act like a photographer, it would have ruined the spontaneity of the shot.
A very simple edit can improve the image considerably.

By not editing you are missing out on a substantial part of the image creation process.

When I first joined a photo club and started entering comps, one of the things I was curious about was how much manipulation and editing are you expected to do?
It seems the answer is "quite a lot." and I recall occasions where judges have said "you should have cloned this out" or "you should have moved this from here to there" so it seems we are coming from completely different areas. I know that with some wildlife images editing is frowned upon, but I've seen lots that have obviously been cropped and had backgrounds replaced. Not every one has the skill (or opportunity) to compose a perfect shot in camera and sometimes it's not possible to remove those poles and straws from a shot. I can't think of many of my own images that haven't at the very least been cropped. If you shoot raw (who doesn't?) you are faced with decisions on white balance, exposure and contrast as soon as you enter the develop module, so does that not constitute editing?
In the case of the OP's example, a small amount of editing can improve a grab shot considerably. If the photographer had tried to rearrange the sitters, change the viewpoint and generally act like a photographer, it would have ruined the spontaneity of the shot.
A very simple edit can improve the image considerably.

By not editing you are missing out on a substantial part of the image creation process.
I wouldn’t say cropping or adjusting levels is image manipulation. It’s an activity to process a RAW (just like a camera does to produce a JPEG). It’s not an alteration of image as it was taken. Cloning and removing items on the hand is quite different as it does alter what the photographer saw.

To be honest it all depends on the situation, a photo of a moment for a memory is quite different to a portray of a natural event or view (have a read of the Nat Geo Astro image manipulation thread for that). Granted it can improve an image but I personally don’t think it’s a skill I feel is a necessity to learn if I don’t need to. Just like some feel manual mode is the must use mode and others are happy with auto ISO, it’s using the right tool or technique at the right moment (y)

I agree with some of the comments but I think the image was just a general one taken on holiday so shuffling subjects around and finding better backgrounds would be a bit finicky, its only a holiday snapshot. When I took the straw out it took about thirty seconds so was not a difficult job, others are a lot harder as I have found out over the years, but the comment about image manipulation is quite valid in this day and age of digital photography.

Back