Image editing programe

Name
Alex
Edit My Images
No
So i take my pictures in RAW which requires editing when you get them on your pc/mac ... and the one i use is a free one on mac and just very basic but it makes edits my pics good and adds great lighting etc BUT when i save them on the editing programme it saves it in JPEG and lowers the image mb size from like 20mb RAW to 7-8mb JPEG when i save them from editing .

Does mean the programme is lowering the image quality each time it saves it to JPEG and lowers the mb size ? if so what should i do

When you have finished editing them what are you going to do with them?
Will they be printed ( if so how big), viewed on a tablet or phone .

When you have finished editing them what are you going to do with them?
Will they be printed ( if so how big), viewed on a tablet or phone .
Nothing really just family photos staying on my pc maybe get printed to like A5 at max but what i want to know is the editing software lowering my image quality as its exchanging it to JPEG ? because if so i may swell shoot in jpeg lol not RAW

Last edited:
Nothing really just family photos staying on my pc maybe get printed to like A5 at max but what i want to know is the editing software lowering my image quality as its exchanging it to JPEG ? because if so i may swell shoot in jpeg lol not RAW

RAW files give you a lot more flexibilty in editing than do.jpg as they contain a lot more information which is why they are larger so you can recover more information
Jpg is a "lossy" format so every time you edit and save you will loose information so you are better off shooting in RAW and saving to jpg.
An experiment worth trying if your camera will do it ( most do) is to shoot RAW+Jpg and look at the difference, if you are happy with the jpg results then use it.
Its a bit like people who say you must use manual mode rather than anything else, its what gives you the results you want that matter

So i take my pictures in RAW which requires editing when you get them on your pc/mac ... and the one i use is a free one on mac and just very basic but it makes edits my pics good and adds great lighting etc BUT when i save them on the editing programme it saves it in JPEG and lowers the image mb size from like 20mb RAW to 7-8mb JPEG when i save them from editing .

Does mean the programme is lowering the image quality each time it saves it to JPEG and lowers the mb size ? if so what should i do

Yes, but it rarely matters unless you then re-process the jpeg and save again rather than going back to the raw file.

Cant see a photo?

Back