Image Resizing for TP

Name
Jak
Edit My Images
No
Hi guys, I'm struggling mentally to resize images for Talk Photography :(

I understand longest edge 1024 and maximum size of 350Kb. I sometimes adjust images in PS three, four, five times to get those standards met!

Is there an easy way to adjust an image once and hit the target?

Quick and dirty way is to crop to 1024px (longest edge) with the constrain proportions box ticked (I then resharpen to suit the resize) then click Save As, tick the preview box and reduce the quality until the file size is below the 350kB limit. (This is in PSElements, PS or CC might be slightly different.)

In PS I use File > Export > Save for web and then adjust the pixel width (or height) to the max allowed and reduce the size until I get to around 340Kb, anything above that can sometimes be rejected as the file appears to pick up a bit extra in the re-size adjustment. :)

In PS,image,image size,this opens a dialogue box with a image size drop down menu,choose the size you want,then from the bottom re-sample choose bicubic sharper reduction,click ok.then later when ime ready to save the image i go to file,save as and it has a slider to adjust image size.

Sorry guys, must be me but I don't have a slider to adjust so that I can see the file size, only 1 - 12?

Dialog.jpg

If you move the small file --- large file slider and tick the preview box it should show you the file size.

In PS I use File > Export > Save for web and then adjust the pixel width (or height) to the max allowed and reduce the size until I get to around 340Kb, anything above that can sometimes be rejected as the file appears to pick up a bit extra in the re-size adjustment. :)
Hi Gramps, where is the adjuster to reduce file size please?

Save for Web.jpg

Sure you have a slider - what's that one underneath the "Quality" option that says "small file---large file"?
Yes but when I move that it does not show me the file size in Kb?

If you move the small file --- large file slider and tick the preview box it should show you the file size.
Got it!

Sorry people, to be a bit dim, many thanks for your help all :)

Such a long way round
clear.png
:LOL:

Download this FREE program which is perfect for what you want:

http://www.fookes.com/easy-thumbnails

To resize to 1024 (or anything else) set 1024 in BOTH boxes on the settings tab then "Shrink to fit" and 85% in the Jpeg Quality tab, set the destination folder and you're good to go.

If 85% doesn't do it just go lower.

Can do a single picture or batch hundreds at a time.

Of course always make a copy or copies first just in case!

I've used it for years and it's perfect!

Last edited:
Such a long way round
clear.png
:LOL:

Download this FREE program which is perfect for what you want:

http://www.fookes.com/easy-thumbnails

To resize to 1024 (or anything else) set 1024 in BOTH boxes on the settings tab then "Shrink to fit" and 85% in the Jpeg Quality tab, set the destination folder and you're good to go.

If 85% doesn't do it just go lower.

Can do a single picture or batch hundreds at a time.

Of course always make a copy or copies first just in case!

I've used it for years and it's perfect!

Seems a long way around to me and additional software to boot! :thinking:

Hi Gramps, where is the adjuster to reduce file size please?

View attachment 74325
You can't change the file size on a GIF because it's not a compressed format.
Try saving as a jpeg which can have different levels of compression (and more colours.)

Back