Image size for printing help

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
A bit of a basic question and I think I know the answer but here goes. I'm wanting to print a 10x8 image and I use a Canon 1d3. When I go to print with my chosen online printer I get an orange box of what I keep and what gets cropped and I usually accommodate for this. I took a photo today but didn't leave enough space. I can still print it but I get white borders top and bottom which I'd rather not have. Is there a way around this or am I just stuck due to aspect ratio? 12x8 would work better but it's to fit a pre bought frame which is out of my control
Thanks

Last edited:
Your best bet would be to take the image and crop it to the dimensions of the print - then upload it to the printer.

if you don't have Photoshop, Elements or Lightroom, something like http://resizeimage.net/ lets you enter the aspect and will crop for you. (it's free - never used it - but seems legit)

If the aspect ratio of the photo doesn't match the frame and you don't want to alter the crop of the photo then the solution is to get a mount cut to suit them both*. It'll look better too.

A square peg into a round hole doesn't work any other way.

* or cheat. Use the Print module in Lightroom. Set the page size to the dimensions of the frame. Adjust the size of the image on the page until the white borders on all sides look aesthetically pleasing. Print to file and send the file to the online printer.

Back