Image with a twist

Name
Gavin
Edit My Images
Yes
It's not often I travel to Glasgow for Photography, a shortcoming on my part as I know how fantastic a city it is for architectural photography. So on this rare occasion I found myself in the old Herald building which has this amazing spiral
staircase. Not worried about the looks from the tourist I swiftly set up the tripod and then lay on the floor underneath it to get this shot. I'm very happy with how it looks, it's just how I envisioned the image looking.
Would enjoy hearing any comments you guys have on the image :)

Vertigo by Gavin_D2009, on Flickr

Looks amazing to me. Loving the colours. I know this is very deep/high in reality but somehow it seems a bit 2d, nevertheless I really like this.

Gaz

I suspect there's a bit if HDR going on here, either that or the location lighting is very even. Either way the result is the same, it flattens the apparent depth of the image. It's easier to fix if it's an HDR thing - take one of the darker exposures and layer it over the image with an opacity somewhere in the range 10-40% (adjust for effect). If it's the location lighting it's a bit tougher to resolve.

Interesting composition and good use of the location, although I suspect that the degree of rotation on the cross in the centre of the stairs may be just enough to bug you if it was framed and on the wall - not quite far enough off square to be comfortably deliberate!

I suspect there's a bit if HDR going on here, either that or the location lighting is very even. Either way the result is the same, it flattens the apparent depth of the image. It's easier to fix if it's an HDR thing - take one of the darker exposures and layer it over the image with an opacity somewhere in the range 10-40% (adjust for effect). If it's the location lighting it's a bit tougher to resolve.

Interesting composition and good use of the location, although I suspect that the degree of rotation on the cross in the centre of the stairs may be just enough to bug you if it was framed and on the wall - not quite far enough off square to be comfortably deliberate!

I did blend 2 exposures together as the location was very dark, I agree it looks quite flat. Something a shall address in a future edit. Thanks for the comments. The off center cross is rather annoying but I didn't like the composition when I rotated it to be straight.

Very serene colours, not sire if I am looking up or down.

Good take I reckon.

Your Flickr page has some brilliant images.

Like them all.

Mj

I dig the fact that the helicoidal shape ends in a
corner of the composition even to the price of the
unsquared cross and, as mentioned, good punchy
colours.

Very serene colours, not sire if I am looking up or down.

Good take I reckon.

Your Flickr page has some brilliant images.

Like them all.

Mj

Thank you Mark. Very kind of you to say so. :)

Back