Importing from SD card - using exif

Name
John
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

When I first got a Canon years ago I got used to it storing files under the camera model, then date - fairly simple and lightroom does it to a degree, but I'm considering dropping lightroom and one obstacle is that theres no import so I'm looking to a third party app to take care of that annoyance.

Any suggestions?

Well, I did start to write my own in VB but frankly it was a pain, started off with ExifTool but I'm more used to asp.net so making a UI etc for Windows was a bit of a learning curve :)

Anyway techno-crap out of the way I found something that works.

Advanced Renamer (link) with a move (may change to copy) command of F:\Pictures\FromCamera\Cameras\Fuji <ExifTool:Model>\<year created>-<month created>-<day created>\

Pretty simple, once set up (and config saved off for later) I just dropped on the folder from the SD card and pressed start batch - job done.

but I'm considering dropping lightroom
Why?
Hardly a justification for dropping Lightroom, which has superb file renaming features and unmatched data based file management.

Poor handling of Fuji RAW

Painterly effect... hard to explain but Lightroom is notorious for it on Fuji, just Fuji though because their raw type is different.

Plus on mine it's slow and crashes a lot even after having just rebuilt the PC

All manufacturers have unique camera raw file systems. Why should Fuji processing problems be different from the rest? I don't own a Fuji, but nonetheless it sounds strange. Maybe other Fuji users might help you.
I suggest slowness and crashing are nothing to do with Lightroom, but more to do with your computer's features etc. I've never had such problems even though I handle big files; but I have plenty of RAM and fast graphics.

I'm pretty ofay with Lightroom have been using it since v4, there are ways to reduce the impact of Adobe RAWs processing but it's not something I'm prepared to do.

Slowness and crashing are only to do with Lightroom, the system isn't under stress except when it is running, I know a little about IT as it's my day job :)

The issue is most likely due to the catalogue size, but I'm not prepared nor inclined to run multiples, plus the sizes are getting out of hand.

Anyway thanks for the concern and comments but for me it's time to move on, I may be back but for now I'll try something new, sure I'll miss some things but crashing mid edit isn't one of them and frankly if I do a clean install of the entire computer to fix this and it's still flakey then I'm done

Still I resolved my own question so all is good.

Haha, great expression and thank you :)

You could be right, but an i7 (3.4ghz), 16GB and an nvidia gtx 1060 should be enough

Why over complicate things? Just copy & paste using Windows Explorer (or Navigator if you use Mac).

Just to save setting up the folder structure, plus if importing over say a week this method breaks the folders down by the date taken based on exif data for the camera and file created (although with a bit of work I probably could have done it on the exif date taken but for me they'll be the same anyway)

Also for some else who might want it by lens or anything else for that matter this could work too, something that would be very difficult for using a straight copy and paste, not to mention the complications if the same card were used over a week or two on multiple bodies

Basically yeah, that's it, nothing much can be done but Adobe handles it the worst

Anything ;)

Irrident is generally considered the best, but I'm trying out On1 RAW, it's not quite Lightroom yet in some areas, but it hasn't crashed on me yet, a smidge quicker and seems to like Fuji more, in part I suspect because they have to better Lightroom to stand a chance where as Adobe I feel are resting on their laurels now

Back