Impromptu visit to London

I suspect I may end up in a minority with this view, but #3 is much my favourite.

As a native Londoner, I've seen photos very similar to the others many times; indeed I've probably taken quite a few of them myself :LOL: There comes a point when you have to ask yourself whether the world needs another shot of Parliament from Westminster Bridge. They all look reasonably well exposed and competent night shots, so I won't dwell on them (although I must say there does seem to be something slightly disturbing going on with the perspective on #2).

However, a busy night time street with that delicious light varnish of rain resonates well with my experience of the city and it's certainly a lot fresher - I enjoy the bustle of people passing through the frame, hurrying to a pub, restaurant or the theatre in that part of town. I'm also a bit of a sucker for a decent b/w treatment, which that is.

If I had to pick holes, it's tilted over to the left a bit and the right hand edge of the composition is a little messy with some figures half in and half out of the frame edge. That may have been better served by waiting for a different moment to release the shutter. I have to confess I'm a bit OCD about such details, though. :)

I wholeheartedly agree. 3 has a nice atmosphere and a fresh composition, whilst it actually pains me to keep seeing these compositions of the London eye and light trails by the houses of parliament; they've literally been done millions of times before. Personally I would avoid the area completely for photography, unless you're really thinking outside the box and creating new compositions. There are plenty of other places up and down the river that are just as photogenic and far less overdone.

Hey Jake

As a keen London night tog myself I see 3 as the best shot here. As has been said the other viewpoints have been done so often before unless they either get an original take or are technically brilliant at blue hour (for more colour) they aren't going to excite me but congrats on not blowing big bens face!

Mark

I just took a peek at the EXIF for #3 - ISO 12,800 (!!!) f/6.3 at 1/160 with an Image Stabilised L lens at 24mm.

Hmm... :thinking:

I'd have been tempted to take advantage of the IS to slow the shutter right down. You could probably have afforded to drop down to 1/15 with that set up and get some blurring from the motion of the crowd and really bring out the coming and going of the people there. Contrast that with the pin sharp textures of the wet pavement and you're on to a winner.

Thanks for the comments everyone.
Rob, thanks for your comments, I didn't take much time in Chinatown, we were just walking past and I stopped for a quick shot down the street. I agree I could've and should've slowed it down and reduced the ISO, and had I had more time I would have made more of an effort, even with my shakey hands!
I'm going to back in London in the next couple of months twice, both times I will have much more time and be on a more photography orientated trip, so will hopefully come up with some new things, whilst steering clear of the usual sites.

I too like #3 but if we all only tried to take the pics no one else had ever done we wouldn't need storage media!
I think that you have done very well with them all :)

Yes 1,2,4 are similar to other shots others have taken....but...so what. Nothing beats getting your own. There is an interesting shapes/angles/prespective in two. One is grand but three is nice and original, but the others to me, appeal far more

I like all of em, though I my preference for the houses of parliament is to see the clock a bit blown out as I think it brings out the colours in the rest of the building a bit more.

The street shot is cool, I'm going to learn from that one

I got nearly the same shots when I was in London last week :LOL:
Good job on the light trails at Big Ben, as people said nothing like getting your own shot and testing your skills!

I suspect I may end up in a minority with this view, but #3 is much my favourite.

As a native Londoner, I've seen photos very similar to the others many times; indeed I've probably taken quite a few of them myself :LOL: There comes a point when you have to ask yourself whether the world needs another shot of Parliament from Westminster Bridge. They all look reasonably well exposed and competent night shots, so I won't dwell on them (although I must say there does seem to be something slightly disturbing going on with the perspective on #2).

However, a busy night time street with that delicious light varnish of rain resonates well with my experience of the city and it's certainly a lot fresher - I enjoy the bustle of people passing through the frame, hurrying to a pub, restaurant or the theatre in that part of town. I'm also a bit of a sucker for a decent b/w treatment, which that is.

If I had to pick holes, it's tilted over to the left a bit and the right hand edge of the composition is a little messy with some figures half in and half out of the frame edge. That may have been better served by waiting for a different moment to release the shutter. I have to confess I'm a bit OCD about such details, though. :)
have to agree 3 is a stunner very different take on the london scene (y)

Back