Captive In Flight Gannets

BRASH

fracster's right hand
Suspended / Banned
Edit My Images
No
You've done very well to handle the big 500mm if you had very windy conditions, and the sharpness and timings are good. However, I think you need to revisit the PP as the whites are not white, more of a dirty grey and they really spoil the shots for me. Nothing that can't be recovered though, I'm sure

IMHO - better, if fact v good, but not quite up to your (high) standards especially composition wise - I suppose that big lens tightened the shot too much and you could not move back - maybe a little more space around the birds, (advice that I have been given on here that is always worth a look at) - the birds look a little awkward and I find their positioning a little unattractive as they are wonderful birds - somehow the wings look slightly "wrong" ……. maybe the perspective given the tight shot - but I not suggesting that you are responsible for that
The images do show the details that are not seen in normal (sea) flight and as you know they are stunningly white and their main features around the head are really distinctive.
You are lucky to have them nearby so that you can see them like this.

but I prefer then when they are gliding with wings fully outstreched

Never seen them close to shore

Last edited:
Reactions: den
The reason I shot and posted these was because they were not the usual open winged shots. They were coming over the rise you see in shot 5 and then gliding/hovering into the head wind (hence the wing position) before landing on the grass embankment to pick nesting material. They are expert fliers and the precision with which they used this technique was quite outstanding and something I hadn't seen before.

There were hundreds of them further out gliding as per normal with the wings straight and I could have spent all day photographing them but thought these were a little more interesting and different.

You are right about the positioning. I was limited as to where I could shoot these from. Any further away and I'd not have had a decent vantage point. With the exception of No 5, they are a bit tighter in the frame than I'd have ideally liked. Small price to pay tho for having the opportunity to study and photograph there lovely creatures at such close proximity.

Last edited:
Fine set Brash - Troup Head by any chance?

I love the way they ride the updraught, certainly an interesting take on a wonderful bird.

cheers, cw

Yeh Chris, Troopheid;). They are majestic creatures. I'll have to venture up again when there's not a Force 10 hoolie blowning:D

The fourth one is splendid Brian, different and well timed.

A great set of images of one of my favourite birds in Britain......I hear Bempton Cliffs a calling soon. I particularly like the last shot as the position of the wings look unusual.

Cracking set of action flight shots, whites not quite right on my monitor but a great set nevertheless :)

Back