In search of the Purple Emperor

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
I don't think anybody could have picked a worse day than Tuesday in terms of heat, to look for Purple Emperors. It was boiling on the South Coast, with temps in to the 30's.

However, we didn't go without reward. This female was quite damaged, but they're a very difficult species to find. They spend most of their lives in tree canopies and only come down a few times a day to feed or drink. The males are a lot better looking, but it's a start. A good friend of mine has had five previous failed attempts, I got lucky on my first.

Purple Emperor female (Apatura iris) by James Mintram, on Flickr

Purple Emperor female (Apatura iris) by James Mintram, on Flickr

Here's one of the hundreds of butterflies that were active, also.

Ringlet (Aphantopus hyperantus) by James Mintram, on Flickr

A basking grass snake was also seen, but it retreated quite quickly and was never seen again. However, that wasn't the only reptile species seen. A dead slow worm was found on the path, and this guy was sitting on a log pile:

Viviparous Lizard (Zootoca vivipara) by James Mintram, on Flickr

Well done they are really hard to find and perch on the ground so are difficult to photograph
I have only seen one and it had half its wing missing yours is a very nice shot

Thanks, although I honestly didn't find them that difficult to approach. They are far easier than most other species.
I found this specimen on the hottest day of the year so far, and a group of us were gathered around it, and it just stayed there. Honestly, the hardest part was getting her to open her wings, which she did very briefly, once or twice.

I liked to see the Ringlet with their wings open.

Look like a flying saucer...........

Love the lizard.......

Mj

Back