In the woods

D

Druid

I took this one during the dark foggy period over xmas. No tripod with me that day (dumb move) and not much in the way of light, so the challenge was to try to do something interesting with a very limited depth of field.

DSC_0033_6.jpg

Looks like you took advantage of the elements nicely there druid. The light hitting the ferns is nice and warm

Looks like you took advantage of the elements nicely there druid. The light hitting the ferns is nice and warm

That was luck. The sun came out for a couple of minutes, weak watery winter sun, but it was late afternoon and it had a bit of a glow to it.

I like the curve in the tree trunk in first - its an interesting shot, but i'm afraid the 2nd doesn't do anything for me..... lacks a real point of interest. Probably down to the dof, but there you go, 2 out of 3 isn't bad(y)

I love the 2nd of the 3 - a really enigmatic shot! Wondering where these were taken? Nice set!

I wasn't sure about the third either, but I was trying for a set of three.

Maybe this one would have been better?

DSC_0020_6.jpg

I love the 2nd of the 3 - a really enigmatic shot! Wondering where these were taken? Nice set!
They were taken in Storeton Woods. It's not ancient woodland. It's basically a big hole where they quarried the stone to build Bromborough Docks or something, then filled up with the spoil out of the Mersey Tunnel. It just turned into woods while nobody was paying attention, but it's in easy walking distance of my house.

Ain't it great that we're all different!! :D

LOL - gives me hope for my website. Think i've become over critical. Sorry Druid - each to their own and full credit for even taking your camera out over that miserable period of weather!

I wasn't sure about the third either, but I was trying for a set of three.

Maybe this one would have been better?

DSC_0020_6.jpg

Now that is my fave - great colour and texture. You should try a triptych with those. Good work. Though John and i may argue about the 3 that should go in ;)

Hey, don't worry about it. I'm always interested in people's reactions to my stuff. I may disagree strongly, but I'm always interested and never offended.

What I should try is remembering to take my tripod when the weather is crap and it's dark and miserable :)

What I should try is remembering to take my tripod when the weather is crap and it's dark and miserable :)
You and me both. Truth is i'm an idle bugger and rely on IS - no good for truly sharp shots :(

The first is the best IMHO.

As suggested you could try a triptych, but really after the first they are all a little samey.

The first is the best IMHO.

As suggested you could try a triptych, but really after the first they are all a little samey.

Well, I can see why it's a requirement for professional photographers to constantly innovate, but myself, I don't feel that pressure because I do this stuff for fun. So I'm quite happy to take the same picture over and over again until I get it right :)

The first one is the pick of the bunch for me here. The low angled light hitting the fern really brings the shot to life.

Hey, don't worry about it. I'm always interested in people's reactions to my stuff. I may disagree strongly, but I'm always interested and never offended.
I admire people who have this attitude and way of thinking.
When others with the totally different attitude will be there,you will be miles ahead and a much better photographer.

As someone ancient said....i don`t agree with you but i respect your oppinion and learn from it.;)

Well, it makes sense to me. E.g. I have this persistent problem where I over intellectualise a lot about certain kinds of pictures and end up taking photos that are intensely meaningful to me, but don't communicate to anyone else.

So I find opinions very valuable, even when I disagree with them, because they help me to avoid photographic solipsism, if you know what I mean?

Having said that, what's interesting to me is mostly the emotional reaction.

I'm sure this has been posted a million times before, but it's a good way to remind yourself not to take certain kinds of online critique terribly seriously.

Great Photographers on the Internet

Back