Inaccessible Pinnnacle Mountain Competition Finalist

Name
Adrian
Edit My Images
No
ATrendall1 medium.jpg

Just heard that one of my photos has been shortlisted for Trail Magazine's Mountain Photo of the year competition 2016. Obviously I'm very pleased but feel intimidated by the quality of the other finalist photos.

This phoot involved a lot of hard work since it meant being on the summit for sunrise and involved about 3000 feet of ascent in the dark over scree and rocks then snow and ice using ice axe and crampons. Four days running I headed up in the dark only for there to be either totally clear skies or totally clagged in. Fifth time lucky. The clouds parted slightly to reveal Bla Beinn in the distance and cast a wonderful golden light on the In Pinn.

If you like it then go to

www.LFTO.com/photocomp16

to see the other finalists and to vote.

Last edited by a moderator:
This phoot involved a lot of hard work since it meant being on the summit for sunrise and involved about 3000 feet of ascent in the dark over scree and rocks then snow and ice using ice axe and crampons. Four days running I headed up in the dark only for there to be either totally clear skies or totally clagged in. Fifth time lucky. The clouds parted slightly to reveal Bla Beinn in the distance and cast a wonderful golden light on the In Pinn.

Wow, that's determination right there. Makes me feel very lazy when I can't be bothered to get up early and drive to the coast :LOL: Your hard work has paid off well, as that's a great image. The light makes it really special

Well done. As a finalist during the last two years (didn't enter this year) I can tell you that you have your work cut out to win this because online voting is just open to abuse...or as happened last year, the guy who won had 35K followers on Instagram and asked for a vote once. I tried to get everyone involved, including family, friends etc, vote, vote, vote (and you can vote again every 24 hours or so) and still only finished 4th - twice. So, get started straight away and don't give up until it's over. The winner gets quite a lot of press, so it's worth the effort.

In terms of the image itself, wow, dedication. A climb up onto the Cuillin is hard enough at the best of times, but in snow and at night and 5 days in a row? I doff my cap to you sir. You have some serious competition from some of the other entrants, but knowing a thing or two about mountain photography, I can say you are very well placed with that image to be in with a shout...and well done for not processing the sh*t out it. Bravo :clap:

That's an awe-inspiring photograph - well worth the effort. I voted for you. I also can't figure out how I missed this comp as I have some nice mountain pics too - maybe next year....

Last edited:
Thanks Tobers. Certainly was a lot of effort but worth it. Make sure you enter next year and thanks for voting.

hanks for the advice based on your previous experience Greg and thanks everyone for the likes.

I've had a look through and for me this is in the top 3 easily. Shame they can't get a board of judges in to vote for the winner rather than an X factor style vote as Greg explains.

Thanks, Craig. I agree entirely that it would be better to have a panel of judges because at the moment anyone can vote so it's not even confined to readers of the magazine.

It's a really well put together shot this one. The light and conditions work really well and I can see you doing well in this.
I was surprised at some of the shots shortlisted, which this shot is certainly streets ahead of in my opinion.
I'm afraid I can't vote for you though, as I'm in one of the other shortlisted shots, and that's my big chance to be famous haha!
I wish you good luck in the competition though and in my opinion this is up there with the strongest entries.

As an Ex ML first of all that's a bloody good effort on the successive climbs(y) Well Done
Now the shot! Taking into account the effort too i think it would be well deserved praise to be shortlisted Adrian, I hope your chuffed.
I feel intimidated just looking through this forum sometimes! But don't get intimidated enough not to post.
Good Luck to all the competitors, look forward to the results

Thanks, Steve. I'm chuffed to be shortlisted. It was a fantastic day and to be shortlisted is a real bonus.

Damn, that's one of my favorites.

I think the shot is strong, I wish I could have stood a little straighter for it though, but the wind was killer.
At the end of the day tho, in my book, Skye > Lake District. So on that basis, you'll win.
I wish I'd have known about the comp, as I would have entered.
Regardless, yours is a very strong shot, and I appreciate the dedication and effort that went into it, having been up in the cuillin myself. Props to you mate

Love the shot & the story ! Voted for you this morning Adrian, best of luck mate

Sorry everyone but I've not been on line but out and about enjoying the brilliant weather on Skye. I feel very humbled by all the great feedback so thanks for that and especially to those of you who have voted for my photo.

I think it's a great shot and much dedication to get it - well done - it's fantastic.

it's a shame it's online voting as to me that's not a good judge, that's just how 'popular' someone is - popular doesn't always equal quality! (ive seen other comps for other things where it's all based on votes on social media and it puts me right off!)

I agree, Dan, about the online voting. It seems strange to have photographic experts select the finalists then base the winner on who has the most influence on social media etc. Thanks anyway and thanks to Alan for the praise. All much appreciated.

Ahh - these online voting things just aren't fair - it really just comes down to who's got the biggest social media following. I've been online and voted for you because I actually preferred your image over the others. I'll be honest, there were a few entries on there that I felt were very uninspiring given the theme. Your photograph was outstanding and I really admire your dedication in taking it.

cracking picture, hope you don't mind I've linked it onto the front page of TP... might just give you a few more hits..

(To try and make the picture display on the front page, I needed to move it above your text, hope you dont mind...)

(even if we don't "really" approve of "vote for me" threads by the letter of the rules... but as you phrased it "see the other finalists and to vote" you're not asking for people to just vote for you willy-nilly ;) )

Last edited:
Thanks, Toni.
Thanks, Mark for linking to TP's front page. Again all the feedback and help is much appreciated.

Well done. As a finalist during the last two years (didn't enter this year) I can tell you that you have your work cut out to win this because online voting is just open to abuse...or as happened last year, the guy who won had 35K followers on Instagram and asked for a vote once. I tried to get everyone involved, including family, friends etc, vote, vote, vote (and you can vote again every 24 hours or so) and still only finished 4th - twice. So, get started straight away and don't give up until it's over. The winner gets quite a lot of press, so it's worth the effort.

I hate competitions like this. I appreciate that a shortlist takes places first, but it's often a popularity contest and little else after that. I'm not even sure what's in it for the contest host, I guess it drives some traffic their way but it's a shame they can't then disqualify entries that can be easily proven to have explicitly asked for votes of their own picture.

Anyway, to stay on topic, awesome image, going to vote now!

Beautiful photo - does a good job of being visually pleasing while also showcasing the difficulty of the terrain.

I hate competitions like this. I appreciate that a shortlist takes places first, but it's often a popularity contest and little else after that. I'm not even sure what's in it for the contest host, I guess it drives some traffic their way but it's a shame they can't then disqualify entries that can be easily proven to have explicitly asked for votes of their own picture.

Anyway, to stay on topic, awesome image, going to vote now!

Agree, it's why I didn't enter again, felt dirty asking for votes...but back to the OP, best of luck.

Thanks John and Chris. Greg, I know exactly what you mean about asking for votes and was in two minds about entering again but now I'm through to the finals I guess I'll have to roll in the mud a bit.

Back