Incoming Guillemots

Edit My Images
Yes
Had a couple of days over at Flamborough Thursday/Friday to beat the Bank holiday rush.

Weather wasn't great, from heavy rain to lovely warm sunshine with everything else in between.

These were tricky but at least you can't say I don't like a challenge!

All comments and thoughts welcome

Guillemot 2.jpg

Guillemot 3.jpg

Guillemot 4.jpg

Guillemot 5.jpg

Guillemot 6.jpg

Guillemot.jpg

Last edited:
Captured them very well Phil, making me very sad of not having been able to visit Northumberland in the last year ... all in the past now. :(

Captured them very well Phil, making me very sad of not having been able to visit Northumberland in the last year ... all in the past now. :(

Thank you Roger, yes, its been a strange 12 months, a possible light at the end of the tunnel though now maybe?

Its not too bad for us having the campervan and being close enough to go for the odd couple of days during the week. It also helps knowing one or two quieter spots to get away from the crowds, although it hasn't been overly busy last couple of visits.

No plans for a return this year Roger?

Nice action shots of a bird that I have never seen. (y)
Some incredible wing shapes.

Thanks Alan, there's a good head of both Guillemots and Razor bills at South Stack, Anglesey, although they are a little distance for photos there.

Nice sharp heads on all the Guillemot flight shots and plenty of action, Phil

Thanks Russ, I have to admit, there was a lot more went in the bin than there was keepers :)

Some look a bit mushy(?) - perhaps cos of conditions?

Critique - only a nitpick, Phil - I would like to see a little more wing detail by using a slightly faster shutter speed in some of the shots, as there is too much wing blur for me.

Good critique chaps, something I feel the forums lacking these days.

Agree on both counts, a faster shutter speed would most certainly have helped freeze the fast wing beats, something which I also prefer to see.

I did look at these and was undecided on the motion blur, you've probably helped me decided that on me next visit, a faster shutter speed is a must

Photos 1, 2, 3 & 6 were @ 1/2000th, photo 4 1/1600th and photo 5 1/1250th Not sure why but since switching to the 500pf I've been obsessed with trying to keep the ISO as low as possible, even when I know the D500 is capable of handling high ISO..........maybe I'm just looking for better IQ to justify the price? :LOL:

Thanks again, comments appreciated

Sadly not Phil, my wildlife kit has gone ... it's now me, my bike and learning a new genre. :)

Why Roger and what new Genre are you learning buddy ??:)

Sorry Phil- Nice set I have only bee up there once ( Bempton Cliffs) and it rained all day :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Les :)

Sadly not Phil, my wildlife kit has gone ... it's now me, my bike and learning a new genre. :)

Sorry Roger, if you've mentioned that on a thread somewhere I must have missed it, I just thought with the hides being closed you weren't doing much birds/wildlife.

Sorry Phil- Nice set I have only bee up there once ( Bempton Cliffs) and it rained all day :LOL: :LOL:

Cheers Les, called at Bempton Thursday evening, it felt like bl00dy January :LOL:

Makes me want to go to May but I'm not sure that's going to be possible this year.

Ah well, always next year.

Lovely set Phil with tons of story.

Makes me want to go to May but I'm not sure that's going to be possible this year.

Ah well, always next year.

Lovely set Phil with tons of story.

Thanks Dale

May as in Isle of May? Looked on Google Earth, it looks a fair boat ride which is no good for me :puke: Shame really as I feel I miss on out places like the Farnes, ect......even the Gannet boat trips from Brid!

Thanks Dale

May as in Isle of May? Looked on Google Earth, it looks a fair boat ride which is no good for me :puke: Shame really as I feel I miss on out places like the Farnes, ect......even the Gannet boat trips from Brid!

Yup, Isle of May Phil, was over there in 2019. Boat trip was very good although the water was pretty quiet. I think it was just short of an hour.

Only a short stay though due to the tide.

I've been spared sea sickness although I appreciate it must be nasty for those that suffer with it.

Last edited:
Back