Infernal machine

hi
I like it but you have a lot of noise in the sky..maybe too much, some areas on the tanks look blown out on my monitor but its not calibrated.
I would definitely remove the two street lights, they look out of place and the one nearest the chimney stacks grabs my eye all the time.
hope this helps

So why not happy?

I think it is a strong composition that appears carefully constructed so the framework is there to be sure. I really like the lamp post at the end of the stack trying to be a chimney.
I quite like the hint of smoke coming out of the stacks - whether it's been added in post or was there on the day doesn't matter. And the sky has a real dramatic feel to it without it looking like a clarity slider push. No halos around the chimneys is always a good sign.

I'm not so keen on the tint - I think it's probably a bit heavy for my taste (I do like the blue/silver idea) and I'm also not keen on the digital(?) grain/noise. It looks ok in the sky but I don't like how it looks on the metallic structures in the foreground. No idea how it got there (added, or due to high ISO) but I'd be looking to clean it up.

The bottom edge of the image is a little untidy - but that's me being picky. My eye is drawn to the stacks, which I look down left to right, then the lamp post, then the sky so I'm not really spending any time looking at it. But if you were after perfection, I'd be looking to do something with that. Totally appreciate this may be a "I couldn't shoot from anywhere else" kinda thing.

That's all subjective stuff, so please take what you like etc etc. Anyway - have a like :)

Had to laugh at mine and Torque's posts going up at the same time and pretty much saying the opposite. How's that for feedback :)

Had to laugh at mine and Torque's posts going up at the same time and pretty much saying the opposite. How's that for feedback :)

That's great, and I really appreciate both sets of comments. :D

The grain/noise is courtesy of Silver Efex (usually looks semi-realistic) and helps reduce the white lines around areas of high contrast that software often adds. I have a liking for fairly blue mono, but you're probably right that it could be beneficial to wind it back a bit. The 'smoke' was inded added in post, mostly because the clouds almost joined up with the chimney tops, and only needed a small amount of 'encouragement' to get all the way. I agree the bottom is messy, but only a very careful re-shoot will clean that up, I think.

hi
I like it but you have a lot of noise in the sky..maybe too much, some areas on the tanks look blown out on my monitor but its not calibrated.
I would definitely remove the two street lights, they look out of place and the one nearest the chimney stacks grabs my eye all the time.
hope this helps

Thanks for commenting feller. The noise is intentional - grain. The tanks are not blown, but the surface has only the lightest of textures, and there is no detain to be seen at this distance. I'll certainly think about the streetlights. (y)

Back