Infra-Red Portraits

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
No
My wife likes me to do portraits for her Instagram - mostly highlighting her makeup - so it's more scientific than arty.

However it was just so flippin' hot today even the cats were sweating and we had no magic powder. She suggested me trying Infra-red which I've never messed about with using studio lights. If I'm honest, I have no idea whether the lights did anything. I was swapping between trying to finish off a roll of Velvia in my Oly Trip, the IR X-T1 and the normal X-T2, so there was a lot of faffing.

The skin tones are way to greasy to be nice and the flash/light isn't doing any flattering favours, but it was nice to shoot something for me for a change. My kinda thing - dramatic and colourful. Not for everyone though!!

Too Hot To Be Serious III
by Ian, on Flickr

Too Hot To Be Serious II
by Ian, on Flickr

Too Hot To Be Serious I
by Ian, on Flickr

These are SOC with just a bit of highlight/shadow pulling and a softening of the harsh purple 590nm effect.

Wow, good of your wife to let these be seen. Like is not the right word but very striking images. Impressive!

very scary !!

:agree:… maybe because a more theatrical — read darker — rendition
would give it a spooky look and finding the balance between the two would
be, for me, a challenge as I haven't approach such images before. (y)

aybe because a more theatrical — read darker — rendition
would give it a spooky look and finding the balance between the two would
be, for me, a challenge

A challenge for me too. That's why they're pretty much SOOC. If I'd messed about with them too much, my intent would have started to come through. I just wanted this to be a straightforward - "this is what IR looks like under studio lights". It's a very different look to the portraits I did back in winter and natural light. They were much softer - although still had an unnatural edge to them. Perhaps the heat has made things different somehow.

Back