Insect from earlier in the year

Name
Alf
Edit My Images
Yes
Amazing selection Alf! The mite-laden crane fly is a terrific image and interesting find, but i like them all.

What camera, aperture, lens etc? I must buy one of these macro lenses. Good fun. I tried with a 70 -200mm L lens

Attachments

• IMG_1034.JPG
    IMG_1034.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 8
Great set of images Alf, I'm liking them all very much but the mite laden Crane Fly tops the set for me.(y)

George.

…a beautiful and strange world… I'm quite happy to live outside the scale of these monsters!

Thanks Damien

Amazing selection Alf! The mite-laden crane fly is a terrific image and interesting find, but i like them all.

Thanks Tim that is the second crane fly I have seen covered in mites the first I initially though they were eggs I recall

Good set there alf (y)

Thanks Carl

What camera, aperture, lens etc? I must buy one of these macro lenses. Good fun. I tried with a 70 -200mm L lens

My set is not that important but have a look here as there are many ways to shoot macro non of which are easy
https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/threads/we-need-you-in-draft-want-to-get-into-macro.551944/

Great set of images Alf, I'm liking them all very much but the mite laden Crane Fly tops the set for me.(y)

George.

Thanks George

Never thought it possible to feel sorry for a crane fly... Great pics.
Don't worry Andy, it's likely just an example of phoresis, and the mites are only there for the ride. See here for more info:

http://what-when-how.com/insects/phoresy-insects/

I did read there was a benefit to the "host" carrier too but I can't find the reference to it at the moment. Something along the lines of the "mites are able to clear out other parasites that might be more harmful to the host when it arrives at it's next location." With carrying all that extra weight I would imagine there must be a benefit to the crane fly somewhere along the way or they wouldn't put up with it.

Last edited:
Back