Insect ID Please

Name
Jeff
Edit My Images
No
P1006401copy.jpg

AFAIK

A Damoiselle......I have seen one similar but have yet been able to get an exact ID.

Thanks for the info......

I saw a few of these on the River Wye yesterday although I didn't manage to get a shot as good as that. It's a Banded Agrion (Agrion splendens) damselfly.

Jeff this is a puzzle which hopefully the above lads might be able to help me and essentially you with ID wise. I'm perplexed Jeff............................... i'm coming up with different genus names for the banded Damioselle,or banded Arigon damselfly. Ie Calopteryx spendens or Arigon spendens......but ...I think ???? they are one in the same and the latin names maybe has been changed at some point. I am completely unsure though

Jeff i'm no expert on damsels,but I see them quite often so would love to know if they are the same and clear up the nomenclature,both for me and you really

cheers

stu

From what I read Calopteryx spendens and Arigon spendens are the same thing, ie Banded demoiselle. The genus name changed from Arigon to Calopteryx some time ago but I don't know when.

Great looking insects no matter what they are called scientifically.

Dave

Yeah they are Dave and I utterly agree with your sentiments,just curious as I couldn't find anything about the name change, or anything to confirm they were one in the same

many thanks mate

stu

A while back I was talking to the bloke who runs this place - http://www.gcnursery.co.uk/ -

He was saying that changes in plant names are not that unusual. The first person to name a plant reckons it looks a bit like something they know, so they use the name. Only later it is found the resemblance is superficial and the name is changed.

Perhaps it is the same in the animal world.

Dave

BTW for any TP member in the NW who needs plants for a very exposed site the nursery in the link above is the place to go for plants or advice.

Dave, i'm sure it's the same for the animal kingdom......... taxonomy is an evolving science with the ever increasing knowledge of genetics ie DNA and how it can be viewed these changes are happening in the animal kingdom. I can't quote you on genus names but absolutley can with species,look up Ranitomeya serensis....lamasi. They are Dart frogs Dave...poison arrow frogs if you like.,we actually keep so have a little knowledge.

Isn't it the saddest thing that these frogs on the road to speciation are being lost in the wild but the IUCN red list does not recognise the individual morphs within a species. R serensis,highland morph is a yellow frog with black stripes and blues mottled legs. It occurs as an isolated population. Other forms of this species occur elsewhere have maybe a green or orange or even red base body colour and different leg colouration,yet the highlands are now thought extinct. in the wild.yet serensi is ok. according to the red list................................. nope,.not so much

A tiny bit back for ya Dave cheers for the kindness

stu

Back