Insomnia.

Had an early start this morning (working down in Glasgow today) now home & not tired :(

Still - off to Ireland tomorrow till Monday so insomnia will have to make way :beer:

Welcome to my hell......

Suffered Insomnia for nearly 50 years. So yes it sucks.

About once and sometimes twice a month I get a good 8-10 hours sleep but it can happen at any time, not necessarilly at night.

Steve

I've suffered with Insomnia most of my adult life. I've tried all medication apart from prescription drugs, acupuncture, hypnotherapy, White, brown and purple noise which have helped for a short space of time. I average 4 hours each night and have at least 2 night per week without any.

In the past couple of months, I've actually started sleeping reasonably well again but have had a few problems since Sept '12. First night back on the ward, I realised I had forgotten how to sleep! Sounds weird (and was) but I have always slept on my side and at the time, that wasn't an option since the wound would have stuck to the pillow... Have to admit that I'm rather enjoying my refound talent for catching some ZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzs but do sympathise with those who have problems.

Couple it with sleep apnea for an endless hell. :(

Are you on a CPAP for your Sleep Apnoea, if not see your doctor for a referral, it was the best thing I ever did for mine, and losing 10 stone in weight so now no longer have it so no need to use the CPAP machine any more.

Apparently I was stopping breathing 40 times an hour, so no wonder I was always knackered.

The most annoying thing is waking up at 4am and not getting back to sleep - I generally go to sleep fairly quick and wake about 3am and go back to sleep till amout 6am but waking and just lying there is annoying

Here we go again :(

Here we go again :(

I have the same feeling

I have been listening to some Jazz on the headphones.... no luck

Fight the good fight

Steve

I keep waking most nights and just can't get back to sleep, real pain it is. The messing about with the clocks, has not helped :mad:

Glad it's not just me, I usually wake about 3 and have difficulty getting back to sleep, mind you I've solved some problems at that time in the morning, I get asked to make some odd stuff from time to time and the answer usually comes to me whilst I'm lying there awake, don't mind so much in high summer, if I'm still awake at 4am and it's light,I get up.

I've not had a decent night's sleep for nearly a year, started with me damaging the medial tendon in my right knee,
which meant every time I moved I was woken by pain, that got bearable and ............................I smashed my left elbow
back to square one o_O
Now that is ok the damage is pulling on the tendons in my shoulder and I had what is thought to be a frozen should :banghead:
Oh well be assured it will settle in time(y)
I just stay in bed and normally drift off again at some point, mind you I find the sofa far more comfy ;)

Gone and created another problem for myself by not being able to sleep, as I have been on my iphone when I can't sleep. I prop myself up on one elbow in bed, while watching youtube stuff. I do this for hours, and as I result my arm and shoulder has been in agony. Can't sleep for the shoulder pain now, not that I slept well before !

I wouldn't mind the not being able to sleep bit if my eyes weren't so sore so can't read or do much.
Tried audio books but then ended up being awake till 6.00

Glad it's not just me, I usually wake about 3 and have difficulty getting back to sleep, mind you I've solved some problems at that time in the morning, I get asked to make some odd stuff from time to time and the answer usually comes to me whilst I'm lying there awake, don't mind so much in high summer, if I'm still awake at 4am and it's light,I get up.

You see that's usually my problem too...early waking, but currently it's getting to sleep that's tricky.
5.50am this morning :(

Because I could not sleep last night, I am off to bed for a quick nap :)

Whats your evening routine viv? I find a stonking hot bath in the evening works wonders. I never really realised it until i skipped them on the odd night, and those are the nights when i have real trouble.
I also find reverse psychology works, set yourself a mental task like reading, crosswords or something and TRY to stay awake while doing them in bed. Its often soon after i resign myself to the fact i wont be going to sleep tonight that i crash out.

i never used to sleep, too much crap goping round in my mind,but lately ive taken to listening to music, got an ipod shuffle, little in the ear headphones, 10 minutes im away...works for me

Whats your evening routine viv? I find a stonking hot bath in the evening works wonders. I never really realised it until i skipped them on the odd night, and those are the nights when i have real trouble.
I also find reverse psychology works, set yourself a mental task like reading, crosswords or something and TRY to stay awake while doing them in bed. Its often soon after i resign myself to the fact i wont be going to sleep tonight that i crash out.

Ordinarily getting to sleep's not an issue, it's staying asleep. 3-4am and boom I'm wide awake.
But Friday night I was awake until 2am and last night, well the last memory of the clock is 5.50am, then I slept until around 10.30.
The early waking I can deal with...I'm used to it.

My trouble is staying awake :)

I suffer a couple of times a year. Don't know why.

However I got myself some melatonin off ebay. Melatonin is the chemical that your body produces when it gets dark to tell your brain its time to sleep.

Has helped massively.

I also suffer with restless shoulders. Its like restless leg syndrome but seems to effect my shoulders. Which makes getting to sleep a real pain.

When I use melatonin I seem to get to sleep better but the best bit is NOT waking up during the night

Last edited:
TBH, I'm often glad to wake up in the middle of the night, otherwise I might sleep like a baby and wet myself at about 2am!!! Rarely have a cider in the evening but if I do, I'll need to be up at least once. Just wish it only took a few minutes to drop back off again.

Are you on a CPAP for your Sleep Apnoea, if not see your doctor for a referral, it was the best thing I ever did for mine, and losing 10 stone in weight so now no longer have it so no need to use the CPAP machine any more.

Apparently I was stopping breathing 40 times an hour, so no wonder I was always knackered.
I'm not. My father suffers too and has one. One look at it and i decided theres no way i could sleep with all that gear on my face.

Mozart and a couple of glasses of agentle cabernet Sauvignon for me.........

Back