Inspired by Dale

Name
Paul
Edit My Images
Yes
Well finally got around to creating a reflection pool near to the bird feeders, after initially getting a 100cm growbag tray, changed my mind and and got a 100cm hexaganel builders tray. Decided on using a mixture of elements within it log, rock, moss and pebbles
Reflection Pool by Paul Martin, on Flickr
The hide is a bit of a heath robinson affair at the mo consisting of flexible tent poles and military camo net paving slabs and chair although will be evolving using some foliage.
DSC_0828 by Paul Martin, on Flickr
The hide has changed a bit from above although no image yet, below my first image from my as i say rudimentary set up.
Blue Tit by Paul Martin, on Flickr
Hopefully more to come.

Rgds Paul

Awesome and quite spooky, I've been spending time with my reflection pool today.

I'm touched you've found inspiration from my efforts, I look forward to seeing your progress and maybe bouncing ideas off each other. (y)

Have been spending a lot of time at the pool over the last month without a great deal of luck, i am getting Greenfinch, Goldfinch, Blue tit, Great Tit, Long Tail Tit, Starlings, House Sparrows all in the cherry tree and on feeders and on pool, but not when i'm out there. However a bit of luck from the pool this evening, not happy with Goldfinch as focus slightly off.
Juvenile Starling 2 by Paul Martin, on Flickr
Juvenile Starling 1 by Paul Martin, on Flickr
Goldfinch by Paul Martin, on Flickr

Rgds Paul

I was only thinking how you might be getting on last weekend.

You're making good progress by the looks.

Thank you Dale, I have been trying to work out any pattens to the visitations by the various birds however it appears to be utterly random, along with the feeders i have a seed tray buried at the top a bit of niger on the back of the moss and hide some mealworms in amongs the pebbles. So I'm spending a couple of 2 to 3 hour sessions in the hide at different times of the day. Today have had just House Sparrows, Adult and juvenile Goldfinches although the adult was spooked by pidgeons before i could get a shot, still have to look at the images so will probably post tomorrow.

Have not done a great deal since the last post, apart digging out some old shrubs from take down the hide, and build a larger one and moving further from the reflection pool, add in some more perches. The following shots are from the last couple of days.
House Sparrow PAM_4443 by Paul Martin, on Flickr
House Sparrow PAM_4331 by Paul Martin, on Flickr
House Sparrow PAM_4405 by Paul Martin, on Flickr
Coal Tit PAM_4181 by Paul Martin, on Flickr
Coal Tit PAM_4177 by Paul Martin, on Flickr
Blue Tit PAM_4285 by Paul Martin, on Flickr
Goldfinch PAM_4449 by Paul Martin, on Flickr

Rgds Paul

Your set up is coming along nicely with some nice photos coming from time spent on it (y)

Coming along nicely, slightly jealous of the coal tit. ;)

Thank you for the comments, Dale I have a regular pair of Coal Tits, also starting to get sporadic visits from a Great Spotter Woodpecker. However not seen any Chaffinch, Greenfinch or Long Tailed Tits this year even though they were regular in previous years.

Great stuff Paul lovely read this thread and the images are cool. I really like that goldie and starling drinking with the golden light in the water. Not sure if goldie is sharp on the head?? But I do like those and the spadger bathing

Mate find a standing dead smallish(attractive) tree that you can snaffle ( permissions etc a given obviously ) Put some kind of base on it ,I simply used big ol' pot and bricks so I can move it. Drill 8 mm holes in places you want a birds beak to be............... and fill with peanuts, If you have GWS visiting they will find this and quite possibly adore it.

Ours normally come early morns and again late afternoon I can't pin down times more than this. Mate they love peanuts, but feeding those in a place more natural than our conventional wire mesh type peanut feeders is not only more appealing to the eye but also seems to make them a little less jumpy,they deifinitely prefer always clearing this before the wire feeder. Our have been regulars a goodly while Paul,the stump thingy is more recent ha they love it !! It might just give someone like you a way to get them to be a tad more regular

all the luck

stu

How are you getting on? :)

I get swarms of goldies right now but very intermittent.

Hi Dale, must admit not been in the hide that much, what with the awful weather and having various things to do for the children and around the house. Have also following Stu's advice and have been when possible scouring the local woods for a suitable tree trunk for attracting the woodpecker.

Rgds Paul

I hear you, same here.

Hoping that will change tomorrow or the weekend.

With all the horrible weather earlier in the year, the storms and high winds destroyed the hide i built, was just getting materials to build something more permanent when the lockdown started, so have had to just used a couple of poles and cam net. Some shots of he Blackbirds taken this afternoon.
Blackbird PAM_5008.jpg by Paul Martin, on Flickr
Blackbird PAM_5051.jpg by Paul Martin, on Flickr
Blackbird PAM_5065.jpg by Paul Martin, on Flickr
Blackbird PAM_5025.jpg by Paul Martin, on Flickr

Rgds Paul

Last edited:
Back