Intel Security Assist now resolved

Name
Jan
Edit My Images
No
Anyone know anything about this program? My laptop (HP Pavilion running Windows 10) has been struggling for a few months now. It takes ages to start and fires up lots of little empty windows. When I can finally get into Task Manager there's pages of instances of this program, all using resources. I suspected this program was generating all the empty windows but finally this morning a couple of the windows got stuck open so I've been able to positively ID the culprit. Having Googled it, no-one seems too sure what it does. There's a suggestion that it's aimed at business users so it maybe shouldn't even be on my version of W10. I've disabled it in startup via Task Manager but it doesn't seem to have taken any notice. The laptop is nearly 3 years old now and I never had this problem till a few months ago, so where did it come from? I've run a full virus scan just in case and done several full restarts (rather than the 'hibernate' shutdown). Nothing seems to stop it. More worrying, a couple of times now I've had a black screen appear (cursor showing but nothing else) as if the poor laptop is running out of resource (I know how it feels). Advice seems to be not to uninstall, even if I could, as if you then have a problem as a result it's terminal - you won't be able to reinstall it. Google turns up quite a few questions similar to mine but no real answers. Anyone here have any idea?

can you uninstall it?
does it pop up in your installed apps?

Thanks guys. I haven't looked to see if it appears in the installed apps list. It's just a pain that it seems to ignore that it's disabled at startup, also weird that it's only now that it's causing a problem when it must have been there all the time. It doesn't even seem to be on my desktop, though both 'puters have Intel chips. Poor laptop's running at 100% CPU for ages after startup - not all isa obviously but when you've got 20+ instances (I haven't counted them, btw) all running between 0.3 and 1% it adds up.

I found and read that this morning. Didn't make a huge amount of sense to me but did seem to caution against removing it, although yes it is completely unnecessary.

Just to close this topic down - I've been away from home for a couple of weeks and on the first night away the laptop appeared to stop working - black screen, no sign of it booting up. Panic! However it eventually came to life and was updating Windows. This wasn't the latest big update - it has yet to pick that one up although my desktop had it several weeks ago - but after the update all the problems have gone away and it's running smoothly and quickly just like it used to.

Back