Beginner Interested in taking photos of wildlife, as a complete beginner. Where do I start?

Edit My Images
Yes
Hi everyone,

I don't own a camera (apart from on my phone) and I don't know anything at all about photography.

I'm interested in being able to take clear and close up photos of wildlife (e.g. birds in flight or high up in trees) and also clear photos of my pets in motion, but I have no idea how to get started with this or what equipment I would need.

I'd love to be able to take clear enough photos to learn more about wildlife through my pictures. That's my main goal at the moment, but I imagine that naturally this might develop into an interest in the more technical aspects of photography as I try to learn how to produce better images. I don't want to spend too much money at the moment as I don't even know the basics.

Can anyone recommend any equipment I could use to get started with, or even just specific things I should be looking out for (or avoiding) when trying to choose a camera? And if it would be better to buy second hand or new? I'd also be grateful if anyone could point me in the direction of any other resources I should be using to get started. Please assume zero knowledge in your responses. Thanks :)

Last edited:
What is your budget?

To be honest, I don't even know what kind of price range equipment that could do this would be. Ideally as cheap as possible, but definitely no more than £500.

I'm interested in being able to take clear and close up photos of wildlife (e.g. birds in flight or high up in trees)

definitely no more than £500.

Okat, that could be tough!
Maybe something like a used Nikon D300/D300s body and an early Sigma zoom lens e.g. 50-500 or 150-500 ... you can practice on that but will likely want a better lens in time.

Hi,
I am a beginner also, I started with a modest budget and wandered into CEX on the high street (not an advertisement). I left with a used Nikon D3200 with a kit 18-55 zoom lens & an old Sigma 50-500 all for slightly less than £500. Crossed the road to a high street newsagent and purchased a copy of Nikon Beginners Handbook for £15. All a bit rash, but off I went hunting wildlife with some mixed results, put the best on here for critique and thanks to lots of friendly advice, I would like to think that my shots are improving. More important I am having a lot of fun in the process.

PS I have recently upgraded to a Sigma 150-600 C

I'd agree with the above, a Sigma 50-500 could probably be picked up for around 300-ish depending on condition which would leave change for a nikon or Canon body which could be upgraded again in the future if you get more interested :)

Welcome A. Buddy to make wildlife is one of the hardest genres of image making. It's tricky for many reasons not least being your subjects run fly away if they even bother to show up that is .. Wildlife photographers often need reach, you'll note the lads an lasses recommending longer lenses ie 500mm. . But even packing 500mm ,you will find with time all the best "portrait" type images still come with the subject being very close. So you need to develop a skillset that allows you to get close. Photographers call this field craft (FC). The need for reach will always be there mate, but your FC can negate that to some extent.

One of the most heart warming things for me in your post is the fact that you want to learn about your subjects,that's why Jerry has mentioned binos. The are a fantastic tool for you to learn about your subjects. Buddy the more you know about your subject the easier it will be to get an image.. so before spending any money and while you are researching gear and learning get out early somewhere each day and watch. Do you have something that you really love ,it might be a mallard it might be a hare,but something that is very local and you can get to easily, go watch it, read about it. Try to get close to it. with time you learn that say if a hares ears are up or down real tight it might bolt if it;s ears are flopping about all ways it's probably chilled and you can get a bit closer.

Last little thing but very important for someone starting out to know,some of our birds and animals are VERY protected, you need to read up about schedule one birds, some say a kingfisher you can't make images of while they are breeding without a liscence. you will be breaking laws if you disturb certain species, some say a great crested newt you can't even handle.legally

All the luck mate ,it's a wonderful pastime wildlife photography, I can promise you the good stuff comes when you know about the animal you are making an image of . Be very prepared to fail alot we all do

all the best with it

take care

stu

Good advice so far . The main criteria are a fast shutter speed I.e at least 8 frames per second or higher ,mirrorless will make that higher but more expensive , a reasonably long reach lens minimum 400mm or longer but again they come with a weight penalty . A macro lens can be added at later date if needed . Your budget at the moment is marginal but if you get into it be prepared to sell your soul :cool:

Sigma 150-500 is a good lens, but requires a lot of light to make a decent shot.

Join your local Camera Club/Photographic Society. There will almost certainly be a number of people interested in wildlife photography. They will be able to help with equip,ment, techniques and places to go. Much better to be able to see other peoples gear and get their views on strength and weaknesses before you spend significant money.

Back