Interesting place to play

Name
Mads
Edit My Images
Yes
So I've ventured out of F&C and decided (rather bravely) to post a photo in here...
I quite like this photo but there's something bothers me about it, but I can't think what, so I was wondering if you fine folk would point to some improvements I could've made?

20160702-160207_0040 by Madison S, on Flickr

it was ridiculously bright

The stupid mistake to do here is to see a child
playing on a window sill… as, in his mind, this
could pretty well be the ever expanding outer
limits of the universe! ;)

I'd crop it down the center, and just focus on the right half. It's the lad that's important.

Chuck

The window reflections in both shops are going to be difficult to eliminate but are a major distraction, as is the Tin Tin red coloured poster and red painted pillar on the adjacent shop.

I'd crop it down the center, and just focus on the right half. It's the lad that's important.

Chuck

Roger that, I'll recrop and repost, thanks :)

The window reflections in both shops are going to be difficult to eliminate but are a major distraction, as is the Tin Tin red coloured poster and red painted pillar on the adjacent shop.

Ok, if I recrop as above, the red pillar isn't an issue, and I could probably reduce the tintins logo to less distracting proportions (PP isn't my strong point) but I've got no idea what to do with the reflections in the window.
Your point is taken, though, thanks for taking the time :)

Hi Mads,

Unfortunately I don't think you can do anything realistically about the reflections, because of the basic nature of light and the reflectivity of the glass. Not a criticism, just an observation.

The only 'control' we have of reflections is to manage them (starts by being aware - it's too easy to not see things other than the subject) for instance if you'd have crouched, the van door would be above his head and the angle would be more engaging too. A polariser does help but is a faff for a grab shot.

Hi Mads,

Unfortunately I don't think you can do anything realistically about the reflections, because of the basic nature of light and the reflectivity of the glass. Not a criticism, just an observation.

Ties in rather perfectly with what Phil says don't it :D

The only 'control' we have of reflections is to manage them (starts by being aware - it's too easy to not see things other than the subject) for instance if you'd have crouched, the van door would be above his head and the angle would be more engaging too. A polariser does help but is a faff for a grab shot.

Yep, I can totally see what you're getting at, thank you for the advice :)

I've had a re-edit, cropping to have the lad in the centre, but it left some empty areas that I just completely disliked, so I've gone with a much tighter crop which, on the plus side, removes the issue of the bright red bits of signage and pillars.

20160702-160207_0040-2 by Madison S, on Flickr

A walk past the child would have you shooting the lit side of his face - better for him competing with the surroundings, but you'd still need to manage the reflections.

I thought I'd said the opposite to Ian (Shreds) many of us regularly manage reflections shooting brides through car windows. It can be a PITA but I bet most wedding photographer websites have such a shot - proving you can manage it.

Last edited:
A walk past the child would have you shooting the lit side of his face - better for him competing with the surroundings, but you'd still need to manage the reflections.

I thought I'd said the opposite to Ian (Shreds) many of us regularly manage reflections shooting brides through car windows. It can be a PITA but I bet most wedding photographer websites have such a shot - proving you can manage it.

Sorry, I was meaning that it needed to be done at the time of the shot, rather than being able to fix it PP, thats all.

Sorry, I was meaning that it needed to be done at the time of the shot, rather than being able to fix it PP, thats all.
It 'is' fixable in PP, but then so is adding Unicorns, and neither is really worth the bother.:D

Back