Critique Interior Car Shot

Name
Mat
Edit My Images
Yes
uick arty farty shot this evening

12004155_10152991042165633_7325254178216536395_n.jpg

No editing has been applied what so ever. This is straight from the SD card.

Almost all of the images have slight blurring around the centre console and dials.

Settings were:
Exposure 5 seconds
F Stop 10
ISO 100

How can I reduce the blur for sharper images, yet keep the blur effect?

shoot two exposures - one fast for the sharp details, one slow for the blur, mask the fast shot over the blur one where you want to add the sharpness back in.

How can I reduce the blur for sharper images, yet keep the blur effect?

Looks like a fairly well judged exposure. Quite often the cause of softness around the dials & car interior will be a poorly mounted camera. Any movement of the tripod in any direction will cause blur, so make sure yours is well braced. I put the two front seats in exactly the same position then wedge the tripod up to them, with the third leg pointing backwards & temporarily forced into the middle of the rear seat- back.

I think on this one the passenger seat my have been further forward, but I did wedge the best I could.

I tried again about a week after this post, and made sure the passenger seat was further back (don't know what made me think of that). I will post some results of that attempt the next chance I get.

Is that you Caveo? What the hell you doing on here?

Did you never see the Cupra I had?

Trying to place the car! Is it an XE?

Ta! I was way off!!!

If it was visibly an "S", it would have done. The shiny parts of the blob look remarkably like the Jaguar growler from that angle.

TBH, I have owned a Seat for the last (almost) 12 years.

This will probably be the only time someone thought I owned a Jag :LOL:

Blur is caused by vibration. You can use a longer exposure and slower speed in the car, or just make sure the device you have the camera mounted on is rock solid. I've seen headrest mounts advertised but these are generally useless as there's play in the seat, headrest.

I've used bars across the rear as additional bracing, suction mounts the the interior rear windows, or even just arranged the tripod so it's strapable to the two front seats.

Wedged and strapped tripod. Remember to tidy the interior :D
It's also useful if you pick somewhere with an interesting exterior or lighting to iluminate the interior slightly. The alternative is to light with a flash
140256578.jpg

Wedged and strapped tripod. Remember to tidy the interior :D
It's also useful if you pick somewhere with an interesting exterior or lighting to iluminate the interior slightly. The alternative is to light with a flash

And clean the glass too

Nope apart from being sharp in the interior, I use mine to indicate so many other wrong things :D

Another option is to shoot it like i shot mine, this was using the tripod wedged against the back seats as mentioned above, but this was shot using the "Car Rig Photography" method, whereby the car is actually pushed along by some willing helpers rather than driven as this produces far less vibration and i think makes for a smoother motion blur

The location we used was an industrial estate in an evening, so pretty much zero traffic to worry about either

Mini in Motion
by Richard Smith, on Flickr

Haha, cheers, thought you might like it

Currently saving up for a MKII JCW, got the bug now ;)

Oh nice I would love a JCW Countryman. As I love our All4 SD

I want to try doing some shots from inside one of my classics but need it to be decent weather for that!

Some great shots there guys I'm going to try this myself sometime soon,
@rpsmith79 the guys pushing must have been fit as I spy 20+mph.

Some great shots there guys I'm going to try this myself sometime soon,
@rpsmith79 the guys pushing must have been fit as I spy 20+mph.

Oh yeah, it was taken a while ago, so it might actually be a composite of a couple of shots, I know we tried all sorts of methods, so the static interior might have been from when we were trying the roll and coast method, drive up to speed in gear, then drop the clutch and coast while taking the shot, reduces a lot of the vibration, but not as much as pushing

Back