Internal door lock

• Thread starter Deleted member 49549
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 49549

We have a spare room that is a permanent lure for my kids as it has lots of toys in there. I want to somehow lock the door, but dont want to drill the frame or door if at all possible.
Any ideas on how to lock this door without drilling?
IMG_2538.jpg

I think that was going to be my fallback, but hoping that some may have had a 'bright idea' and saved some expense and time...
Wishful thinking i fear!

Hook over top of door, chain down to handle and padlocked to handle through (sacrificed!) handle.
Or a rack bolt (if the distance from door edge to hole is suitable.)

Reactions: Sky
Old round door knobs tended to use a grub screw to attach to the square rod, so were easy to remove.
That handle design tends to use an internal metal washer held in place with a circlip to keep the handle on the plate, and they're a PITA to get off (and on again). :grumpy:

Old round door knobs tended to use a grub screw to attach to the square rod, so were easy to remove.
That handle design tends to use an internal metal washer held in place with a circlip to keep the handle on the plate, and they're a PITA to get off (and on again). :grumpy:

I was thinking of just unscrewing the handle from the door, rather than removing it from the plate.

.... but I like gremlin 16's suggestion!

I was thinking of just unscrewing the handle from the door, rather than removing it from the plate.
Ah, you mean remove the whole plate with the handle? That would work (until the kids found a bit of a toy (or something) that fitted the square hole where the rod used to be).
Gremlin16's suggestion would be more kid proof, but it would also be Rapscallion proof as he'd need to screwdriver it every time he wanted to go in.

You could always threaten to beat the living daylights out of them if they disobeyed you - it worked for me when I was a kid. ;)

I just thought of ever more ingenious ways of not getting caught!

Reactions: Sky
How old are you kids, are they getting enough attention and input from you? I would be looking to solve the problem not the symptoms...

Thanks all for the suggestions. I think the simplest thing is to change the handle for a locking handle set, or a rack bolt as Nod suggested,
Thanks again.

How old are you kids, are they getting enough attention and input from you? I would be looking to solve the problem not the symptoms...

They are undoubtedly getting attention, its just that the 'spare room' has the store of toys as we cant keep them all in our living room. I cast my mind back to when i was a child and the lure of the garage which seemed like an alladins cave. I imagine our spare room is a similar draw, lots and lots of 'interesting' things for children to discover and play with.

If it's a spare room and holds toys, why not make it into an actual playroom for them?

If it's a spare room and holds toys, why not make it into an actual playroom for them?

It may well become one one day. We just need to knock some walls through first.

When our son was younger we had a similar system to this which prevented him opening the door to a display cabinet. This could be fitted to the top of the door and the frame.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yosemy-Cup...Q4BT4AK07PX&psc=1&refRID=XJEWSA6MBQ4BT4AK07PX

Another alternative I've seen used successfully by a friend, depending on the age of the children is to flip the handles, so that instead of pulling down to open the door, the handle needs to be raised.

When our son was younger we had a similar system to this which prevented him opening the door to a display cabinet. This could be fitted to the top of the door and the frame.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Yosemy-Cup...Q4BT4AK07PX&psc=1&refRID=XJEWSA6MBQ4BT4AK07PX

Another alternative I've seen used successfully by a friend, depending on the age of the children is to flip the handles, so that instead of pulling down to open the door, the handle needs to be raised.
That works for dogs not so sure with little monkeys!

You know I may have a couple of those door closures in the garage. Have to confess totally forgot about them! Question is will they be strong enough...

Possibly. Using those 3M (?) pull-the-strip-to-remove strips would remove the need to drill any holes and should (I said should!) leave no trace and do no damage.

You know I may have a couple of those door closures in the garage. Have to confess totally forgot about them! Question is will they be strong enough...

The ones we had (Linden I think they were), certainly took a firm hold and held through a toddler trying to open a door, my concern would be the contours of your door frame and whether there is enough area for the adhesive pad to stick.

Back